CHAPTER 19

BO-YOUNG

"I didn't want to bring this up, but something doesn't add up," Taehyung whispers about fifteen minutes before the movie ends. "How did you hide your ears? And how did you end up here?"

"What do you mean?" I ask him, questioning why he'd ask about how I got here. I thought he'd just assume she lived here.

"I know every hybrid owner in this town," he tells me.

"That's creepy," I shudder, eyeing him suspiciously.

"No," he rushes to correct my train of thought, "I work at an organization that checks in on families with hybrids, making sure that the hybrid owners are competent."

"Oh, I remember those visits..." I mutter, admitting that I've been caught. " I spent a solid year getting here. Hitch-hiked most of the way, hiding my hears under a hat or trying to blend them into my hair."

"Aha," Taehyung quietly cheers. "I should be a detective."

"You kind of are, but for hybrid mistreatment," I shrug, ignoring the movie.

"Now, tell me your secrets," he pesters.

"I promised I'd tell you the significance of the pen, but never did I say I'd tell you anything more."

"You've already come this far, plus, I can also just check your records," Taehyung says.

"No!" I protest rather loudly. A few people turn back, shushing me as they glare daggers in my direction. Maybe shouting "no" as the villain is thwarted isn't the best idea.

"Oh, something up with your records?" Taehyung teases.

"I'll tell you, as long as you don't tell Jungkook about my records.

"I came here by accident. I was found out as I was planning the funeral, so they tried to send me back. The van crashed, and I ran. I tried hitchhiking back, but I didn't know where I was going. I spent half a year looking for the town but never found it. I settled here, eventually seeing no reason to come back."

"So you're either listed as dangerous, wanted, missing, or dead?" Taehyung asks. Suddenly, his face falls, and he looks worried. "You know, for Jungkook to officially adopt you, he's going to have to see your records."

"Oh..." I pause, trying to take it in. "Maybe he can just... not?"

"You and I both know that's not an option unless you want Jungkook to face the charges of keeping an unregistered hybrid, or even worse, harboring a dangerous hybrid," Taehyung says snappily, not even considering it as he shuts down my selfish idea. "I know you've been living on the streets, but you need to start thinking about someone other than yourself now. You're not on the verge of death, needing to fight to survive, so you have more space to think about him. If you said this to him, he'd take the bullet for you and just accept it."

"Ouch... I got it, okay? No need to dig into me that much," I say, taken aback by the sudden criticism.

Taehyung takes a deep breath in and says: "I'm sorry, it's just that he's my best friend. I'd also be fired if the higher-ups ever found out I'd be involved in anything illegal."

"I get it, I really do. I just need time to think about all this stuff."

"I told you to meet me tonight," he says.

"Yeah? But you got impatient and got me to tell you early," I say, not knowing why he'd bring that up.

"True, but there's still a use for it. Stop by, same time, and we'll check out your records and set everything up to be as legal as possible," he says his voice hushed at the end.

The credits begin playing as the lights slowly turn on. People stand up and make their way out of the theatre, some glaring at me as they leave. I watch as Jungkook and Hoseok stand up, turning towards us and gesturing for us to stand up and leave.

Taehyung stands up first, looking at me expectantly. I stand up too, following him down the steps and towards Jungkook and Hoseok. As we approach, Jungkook begins to speak.

"Okay, what the fuck was that about?" Jungkook asks, crossing his arms.

"Which part? Bo-young being loud or the seats?" Taehyung asks innocently.

"The seats, dumbass," Jungkook clarifies. "But also, Bo-young, what the fuck?"

"I have a soft spot for the villain," I try to bullshit. "Starkid, you know..."

All three of them look at me silently, until Hoseok speaks.

"I loved that musical," he smiles, pulling me along towards the door. Jungkook and Taehyung walk behind us, seemingly bickering. "So, what did Tae talk to you about?" Hoseok asks, the smile still on his face as he places his arm over my shoulders.

"How'd you know about that?" I ask, already figuring that he heard us.

"Bear ears."

"Of course," I sigh. "We were talking about what he does for a living, and how I got off the streets."

"That sounds like you were a prostitute," he replies as we exit the theatre, the lady at the front desk saying a brief "goodbye" and "hope you enjoyed the movie" before we exit.

Suddenly, Hoseok is tugged back by Taehyung. "Stop interrogating the bunny," he says. Hoseok groans before he is silenced by Taehyung.

Jungkook jogs up to me as Hoseok and Taehyung chat, taking a moment before speaking.

"I hope he didn't ask too many questions," he says.

"You have no idea," I sigh in exasperation.

"He means no harm though. It's kind of his job to make sure that hybrids are doing well in their new homes, so don't judge his intrusive questions too hard," Jungkook explains.

"He did mention where he works," I tell him, not paying attention. Jungkook has no idea what Taehyung was really asking me.

"That's good. I've chided him multiple times because he keeps forgetting to tell the hybrids that he works at the HPS. I've had many people complain about the "silver haired creep" butting into their personal lives," Jungkook laughs.

1004 words

(Honestly no clue what I am writing anymore.)

(I'm taking a break for the weekend, since I'm going to my mother's, and will be unable to write thanks to my D&D session. I gotta plan that shit, and the session is in two days. You're not a DM if you don't panic wright the session at the last minute.)