·CHAPTER 10·

BO-YOUNG

After shopping, Jungkook and I head home. Somehow, despite the added weight of the bags, Jungkook walks briskly and without a bead of sweat on his brow, dragging me along by my hand. Even with the comparably simple task of carrying the single bag of groceries—which Jungkook bought after I pointed out how unhealthy it is to eat chocolate with nearly every meal—I struggle to keep up.

"So, guess what," Jungkook says as we near the apartment.

"What?"

"I have a surprise for you, but you have to wait 'til we get home," he says, glancing back at me with a distinct look of mischief.

"Wh-" I begin, gaping at his audacity. "Well, why would you tell me about it before we're home? That's just cruel."

"I know," he laughs.

With a pep in my step and the added energy of seething rage, I quicken my pace and pass ahead of Jungkook, trying to inconspicuously get to the apartment faster. I can hear Jungkook's quiet chuckling behind me.

As we get to the door, Jungkook stops.

"Ah, man. I think we need to go back. I seem to have forgotten my keys," he says, but his voice isn't serious. He turns to walk away, but I tug him back by his hand.

"Nice try, but I saw you put them in your back pocket," I reply, trying to act nonchalant. Jungkook snorts as he lets me tug him up the steps and to the door, impatiently waiting for him to open it. He doesn't.

"I know you're trying to play it cool, but your ears give you away," he comments, reaching over and ruffling my hair.

"I'm going to bite you," I threaten, glaring daggers at his happy face. He isn't phased.

"I doubt you could do much damage," he mutters.

"Fight me, bunny man," I challenge, knowing very well that I would lose that battle—the man is a beefcake.

He elects to ignore me, unlocking the apartment door single-handedly, pulling it open and stepping aside to let me in.

"...Thank you," I mumble, walking past him and to the elevator. Jungkook walks in behind me, then to the stairs.

"The elevator is out of order, we'll have to take the stairs," he tells me, beginning his trek up to the fifth floor.

"Oh, I figured you walked up the steps because you're a fitness nut," I say as I follow behind him.

"I'm not a masochist," he laughs.

I reach the fifth floor long after he's made it up to find that he's left the door open for me. I close it behind me.

"I'll put the groceries away. You can go put your new clothes in your closet," Jungkook tells me, taking the grocery bag from my hand before disappearing into the kitchen.

I grab the shopping bags full of clothes, dragging them into the room I slept in last night: my room. The idea is still hard for me to grasp.

Piece by piece, I unload each item from the bags and into the empty closet, organizing them to my liking. When I only have one bag left, Jungkook calls out to me from the common area.

"Bo-young, are you done yet? I've got the surprise," he shouts.

I discard the last bag onto the bed, leaving the room to find Jungkook sitting on the couch with a badly wrapped present in his lap. He beams at me nervously as I approach. I sit next to him on the couch, facing him. He hands me the gift.

"I've never gotten a wrapped gift before," I comment, looking up at him for a moment before looking back down at the gift, which is now held gently in my hands. The wrapping paper has Christmas trees and reindeer on it.

"I used to have wrapping paper with maple leaves on it, but I couldn't find it," Jungkook explains sheepishly. "I know it isn't ideal, but-"

"It's perfect," I smile.

"Well, open it," Jungkook says impatiently. I nod, carefully beginning to undo the tape. Jungkook's leg bounces as his patience wanes. "Just rip it."

"But, the wrapping paper-"

"Just rip it," he laughs. "The wrapping paper is meant to be torn apart. That's a part of the fun."

"Oh, okay," I mutter before ripping the edge of the paper, wincing. I glance up at Jungkook, who gives me an encouraging nod. I tear up the rest of the paper, watching it come undone to reveal a folded pair of knitted black mittens and a yellow beanie.

"So, do you like them? Jungkook asks, shifting in his seat. I look up at him, feeling tears pooling in my eyes. Jungkook looks almost mortified when he sees my tears, but he calms when I shoot him a smile.

"I love them, thank you," I say, my voice wavering. "Y-you really didn't have to. You've already done so much."

"Sure, I didn't have to, but I wanted to."

"That's so cheesy," I snark, wiping the tears from my eyes before hugging the warm knitted clothes to my chest.

"Well, cheesy is what I do best."

I chuckle.

"I got you another gift too, but I'm not sure you'll be as happy about it," Jungkook reveals, reaching behind himself and placing a small, classy black box in between us. I cautiously open it, eyeing Jungkook suspiciously. The lid lifts off with minimal difficulty, revealing a simple black leather collar with a small metal piece with my name on it. I give the collar a small scoff and a glare.

"I know you're not thrilled, but-" his voice dies out. "Look," he takes out a black satin choker. "I'll wear this when we go out. Then you won't feel alone with it."

I do have to admit that the collar he bought me is high quality. The inside is made of a similar satin as Jungkook's choker, making it soft and comfortable when worn.

"You're right, I'm most definitely not thrilled, but I'm okay with it. Thank you for being considerate," I say to him.

I know I'm a hybrid, and there are certain laws I have to follow, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. Breaking such laws could result in me being sent to a hybrid centre, and worse, it could cause Jungkook heaps of problems—getting fined isn't the worst thing that can happen to "irresponsible" hybrid owners.