CHAPTER 37

BO-YOUNG

I've been alone in Jungkook's childhood house for almost half an hour now, as I'm reminded by the large grandfather clock in the corner of the living room. The ticking is driving me mad. I watch as the hands slowly inch forward. There isn't much to do here when you're alone.

I look out of the window next to the backdoor. The lake is calm. There are more leaves on the surface of the water than there were earlier this morning. The large trees next to the lake have lost so many leaves, that soon they'll have no more.

As I'm peering out of the window, the front door opens. In stumbles Jungkook, a shopping bag in his hand.

"Sorry I took so long. It was hard to find exactly what I needed, especially with Jimin staring at me. You won't believe how awkward it was," Jungkook says, hurling the moderately sized bag over his shoulder.

"Groceries? I thought I got everything we need yesterday," I remark, confused at why he'd have gone to get groceries, especially when Jimin is there.

"These aren't merely just groceries. These are snacks!" he announces joyously, his bunny grin spreading across his face. "You see, I've got a place I need to show you."

"I thought we were going on the boat today. You even got the camera," I question.

"It's a short row away. You saw the old house on the other side of the lake, right?" he explains.

"What does the house have to do with this. Does someone you know live there? " I ask, peeking through the window to see if I could spot the house from here. The trees are in the way though, so I can't see it.

"You'll see what I mean when we get there. You're not afraid of ghosts, are you?" he asks teasingly before placing the bag on the kitchen counter. I can still see him from the living room, but only barely.

"Ghosts?" I ask, my eyebrow raised. "Are you five? Ghosts don't exist."

"Maybe not, but thinking like that makes exploring abandoned buildings much more boring," he says, grinning. So that's what he planned. Before I can reply, he says: "let's go. I don't want to be there when it gets dark."

I laugh as he pulls me up by the arm. "You don't want to be there when it gets dark? I thought you wanted to see ghosts."

"Yes and no. I've been there quite a few times, and I can tell you that the forest around it is much less pleasant when it gets dark," he says with a shrug, still leading me out of the house through the back door.

We approach the jetty. Next to the old wooden planks is what I assume to be the boat, which is covered by a large blue rubber tarp. Jungkook sets down the bag of snacks before lifting the tarp to reveal a small old boat. It looks to still be in good shape, even the wooden ores being well kept. Jungkook pushes it towards the water slowly after placing the bag of snacks and the blanket I accidentally took with me under the metal seat of the boat.

The boat hits the water, but it's still stuck in the sand. Jungkook looks at me and says: "Hop on in. I'll push it into the water and jump in once it's taken off."

I nod, cautiously climbing aboard.

"Could you pass me those rubber boots?" he asks, pointing behind me to a pair of large black rubber boots. I pass him the surprisingly heavy shoes. He slips them on after taking off his sneakers. Once waterproof, he kicks off, the boat rocking as it slowly floats off the sand.

Jungkook hops in as if he'd done it many times before and sits across from me, grabbing the ores and beginning to row towards the distant jetty on the other side of the lake.

I grab onto the sides of the metal seat, trying to keep myself stable. "I've never been on a boat before," I say, trying to start up a conversation.

"You've been missing out. I spent most of my childhood on a rowing boat. My father and I would often visit the family on the opposite side of this lake, the ones who lived in the house we're going to," he smiles, still concentrated on rowing straight. I look off the side of the boat, trying not to lean too far. 

Small lilypads and reeds pass us as we row further from the land. The water is murky, so I can't see much what is under it. A part of me is glad since then I wouldn't see how horrifyingly deep it is, but another part of me wishes I could, so then I could see if a lake monster would be coming up to devour us.

"It's so pretty. I can see why you wanted to paint this place," I smile, looking behind me to see the large wooden house, which looks to be bordering more on a manor. It's large and white.

"It's prettier in the summer," Jungkook tells me. The sun is shining on his face, making him look like a literal god.

I turn to look towards the other end of the lake, the one of the far right. Moments later, I hear a quiet snap and a buzz. When I turn to see where the noise came from, I see Jungkook sitting there with the camera pointed at me.

"Hey," I laugh, "it's rude to take pictures of people without their permission."

Jungkook smiles slyly before saying: "I don't know what you're talking about. It's bold of you to assume I was taking a picture of you. I was testing the camera."

I snatch the polaroid when it comes out, despite Jungkook's best efforts not to let me get it. I stare at the black box in the middle of the fairly large polaroid, waiting for the image to show. Jungkook tries to snatch it back, but I manage to turn away in time. 

The image appears, showing a picture of me staring off to the side as if I were deep in thought. As I'm staring at it, Jungkook snatches it back.

"See, it turned out gorgeous!" he cheers, looking at it for a moment before placing the polaroid into his jacket pocket.  

(AN: This story is literally just a slice of life. I wish I had a more dramatic plot, but at the same time, I've always wanted to read a peaceful story where things aren't all going wrong. It's relaxing.)