CHAPTER 56

(A/N: So, something happened. I straight up forgot what I had planned for the gift, so now it's 100% less sentimental. Oops-)

(Also, shout out to readbts7 , whose reading experience I interrupted by unpublishing everything. Welcome back :).)

BO-YOUNG

"Oh my-"

I stare into the box with surprise and awe.

"What the bloody hell is that?" I ask, not able to tear my eyes away from the wooden ducks in the box. Three ducks, all in varying sizes, all donning blue rubber boots with white polka dots, stare back after me. Their bills are all open mid-quack.

Jungkook snickers before saying: "Look at that one's legs!" He points at the tallest duck, which is about the height of my forearm. Its legs awkwardly extend straight down, the wellies making them look much longer than they should be. The smaller ones, in comparison, have no visible legs outside the rubber boots.

"Pfft-" I purse my lips as I try not to laugh.

Jungkook holds up the largest duck by its sides so that his hands are extended as far as they can. The wooden duck lifelessly stares off to the side with its beady eyes.

Tears well up in my eyes as I stare at the scene. Jungkook looks at the duck fondly.

"Isn't he beautiful?" he swoons, causing me to burst out in unholy cackles. I throw my head back and clasp my hand over my mouth. I hear Jungkook's laughs join my own. He carefully hands me the ducks so that it's facing me. I hold it in my hands as it stares into my soul.

"He needs a name," Jungkook says, his face now flushed from laughing. His toothy grin is now gone as his eyebrows furrow in thought. I hold the large duck like a baby as I begin to think too.

A long moment passes without a single word being said. The air is heavy with concentration. Suddenly, a name pops into my head.

"Barnabus," I whisper as my eyes insect the duck's wooden face. "He looks like a Barnabus."

"Yes," Jungkook states, his voice almost a whisper. "Barnabus. The middle child can be Barnaby."

I light up. "The smallest shall be Barney."

"Our beautiful sons, Barnabus, Barnaby, and Barney," Jungkook says as he takes the two smaller ducks out of the box. "What is wrong with us?"

"What is wrong with you?" I correct, a smile tugging on my lips as I stare at Jungkook cradling the two smaller ducks. "You're the one who bought them."

"I thought your room could use something more to give it life. You need to have some trinkets and decorations," he states as he hands me the ducks. I hold the ducks carefully, making sure not to drop them. The wood of the ducks clanks together as they lightly bump into each other.

"I suppose you're right. I doubt I'll never understand what caused you to buy these specific decorations though," I chuckle as I look at the ducks cradled in my arms. Jungkook shrugs.

I crack a wide smile as I look at Jungkook nonchalantly leaning back on his hands, a content smile on his face. I sigh, enjoying the mutual silence for a moment longer before I get up, my legs shaky under my weight after sitting cross-legged for so long. I look at Jungkook to find that he's already looking back at me. I give him a mischievous smile before saying: "Thank you, Jungkook. I shall cherish these ducks forever. We can sort out custody later."

I swiftly retreat into my room, but not before catching a glimpse of Jungkook's bunny smile. I close the door behind me with my foot seeing as my hands are full holding wooden ducks. I lean against the door and close my eyes, a satisfied smile on my face.

I place the ducks on top of my bedside table so that they're all prominently displayed.

Life was never like this before. With Grace, things were fine, but never necessarily good. We lived in mutual compromise, neither of us aware of what we were missing out on. Well, I'm sure she led an exciting life before she grew old, but I didn't have the chance yet, nor would I have a chance until she passed.

Never did I feel like this. Fond smiles and blissful banter were a stranger to me until he came along.

I sigh, remembering my past life with Grace as if it were a lifetime ago. The seeds of doubt in my mind begin to grow as I question my gratefulness for Grace.

I dismiss the thought, shaking my head as I walk further into my room. I hear a light knock on my door just as I sit down on my bed.

"If you're up for it, we could watch a movie. I've got some snacks and-" Jungkook begins to speak, but is cut off by me cracking open the door and peeking out.

"Snacks?" I ask with wide eyes, looking like a goblin starved of everything good in the world. Jungkook laughs before pushing open the door.

"C'mon, you can choose a movie. It doesn't have to be a Christmas movie. I'll go prepare the snacks," he says softly before handing me the remote to the TV. I can see him preparing something in the open kitchen, but the bar separating the living room and the kitchen prevents me from seeing what exactly it is. I begin to scroll through Netflix in search of a movie. In the background, I can hear the popping of popcorn.

Jungkook soon returns, carrying two mugs of non-alcoholic glogg. He goes back into the kitchen for a moment before returning with a plate of gingerbread and a bowl of popcorn. He looks at my movie choice, raising an eyebrow before nodding his head in silent approval.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" begins playing as he sits down next to me, placing the bowl of popcorn between us.

(A/N: Woop, a new crackhead chapter! I don't know what the feck I was thinking while writing this.)