CHAPTER 50

(Christmas special pt. 1)

BO-YOUNG

I hold the small note in my hands. After finishing hanging the lights two weeks ago, Taehyung secretly handed me this note. I don't know what it's for, but I feel like it's imperative for me to go to see what's up with it. On the note reads: "21st of Dec, 2 pm, park."

I sit down on one of the uncomfortable wooden benches, looking out at the small playground. I look at the slide, the one I hid under the day I met Jungkook. A somber smile spreads out on my face as I remember the day we met. Small snowflakes glide down from the cloudy sky above, but none manage to stick on the wet ground.

I check my phone to find that Taehyung is 15 minutes late. I tap my foot on the gravel under the bench impatiently as I lean back, letting out a sigh.

"Hey, Shortie!" I hear Taehyung's deep voice call out from the outskirts of the park. I sit up, looking around for him. He walks briskly to me, his long black coat dramatically waving in the wind. On his head is a black beret. Around his neck is a comically long eggshell white scarf.

"Jesus, you look-" I begin."Amazing, right-"

"Like a drama queen. The beret is a bit overkill, is it not?" I say. Taehyung pouts.

"I think I look grand and fine and pleasant, whereas you look like you've robbed C&A in an alley," he retorts.

"Ouch, you cut me deep," I exaggerate. "So, why did you leave a cryptic note inviting me here?"

"Well, I know you're broke-" he begins.

"Again, ouch."

He ignores me and continues. "So I thought I'd do you a favor. You can see it as an early Christmas gift of sorts."

I look up at him questioningly. "A favor?"

"Yes. I know Jungkook has something super nice in store for you as a Christmas gift, whereas you have nothing," he says as he gestures for me to get up. I slowly stand up, my whole body aching from sitting on the wooden bench for too long.

"I appreciate your bluntness," I tell him.

"We're going shopping. I'll help you pick out a gift and everything," Taehyung says with a wide grin on his face. I look at him, flabbergasted at his kindness.

"You'd really do that for me? Wow, Tae, I knew you were nice, but not this nice," I say, now beaming. In all honesty, I've been worrying about Christmas for a while now. I have had no way of getting Jungkook a proper gift until now.

"Let's go," he says as he takes me by the arm, dragging me along with him. He's briskly walking while I'm running to keep up. Within minutes, I'm huffing.

"You goddamn giraffe, slow down. Unlike you, I have normally proportioned legs," I wheeze.

"It's not my fault you're short," Taehyung huffs. I decide to ignore him and continue. Luckily, Taehyung is now walking at a slower pace. That doesn't mean that it's easy to keep up, but at least I'm not running anymore.

When the familiar white building comes into view, Taehyung slows even more. As we meander towards the mall, he speaks.

"You have your collar on, right?"

"Yeah, always when I'm out. It's under my scarf," I reply, pulling down my scarf a bit to reveal the black collar.

"Good. I suggest you take off your scarf so the AH guards won't stop us," he says.

"Oh yeah, the hybrid hating brigade. Anti-hybrid guards. Real bastards, they are," I say in annoyance as I unravel my scarf from my neck. A shiver runs down my spine as the cold air hits my bare skin.

As we near, the burly men become clear. They're stationed where they always are, one on each side of the large automatic doors. Their vests proudly declare that they are in the AH services, the bold white letters visible from afar. They glare at me as I near, my bunny ears on full display. I glare back.

"Excuse me, you two. I need to check your IDs," one of the men says as he approaches. He looks kinds, but deceivingly so. Taehyung takes out his ID without any problem, showing it to the man with unparalleled confidence. The man's eyes widen a bit before he smiles again.

"You two are good to go. I appreciate your work, man," he says as he steps away from us.

"What did you show him?" I ask Taehyung after we've entered through the large glass doors.

"My ID," he replies as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. He then takes it out, showing it to me. Then it all clicks.

"Oh, yes. Right. I forgot you work in hybrid protection/services," I say, face palming as I remember.

"Yep. It makes bringing hybrids that aren't necessarily mine into restricted areas easier. In any other case, you'd have to have a release form from Jungkook stating that you're under my care for an x amount of time. It's a hassle," he explains.

"Man, these hybrid laws make it sound like hybrids are all animal," I complain in genuine frustration.

"I know. It sucks. I'm not supposed to tell you this, but people are working to change it. The group is small, but they're working hard," he tells me, a reassuring smile on his face.

"That's nice to hear," I say, a small smile spreading across my face as I think of the possibility of full hybrid freedom. that's a long way away, though.

"But hey, let's not dwell. You've got some Christmas shopping to do," Taehyung says cheerfully. 

(AN: I wrote this VERY quickly, so the quality is... below average, to say the least.)