·CHAPTER 8·

BO-YOUNG

"I've thought about it, and my answer is-" I pause, leaving a few seconds of silence. Jungkook looks at me expectantly, sitting at the edge of his seat. "Sure."

I see him let out the breath he was holding, a wide bunny-grin spreading across his face.

"But the moment things go south, I'm leaving," I mutter so quietly that I'm sure he can't hear me.

The tense atmosphere dissipated the moment I gave my answer, leaving Jungkook ecstatic and beaming wider than I've seen before. His eyes dart around as he thinks out loud.

"We can go buy you some clothes today, and we can furnish your room tomorrow—let's eat something delicious too. You're not picky, right?" he rambles excitedly, barely leaving me any time to reply before moving on to the next thing. "We leave in five minutes!" he announces.

Jungkook stands up and snatches my half-eaten bowl of cereal, discarding it in the sink despite my protests. He gently grabs my hands and pulls me up out of my chair, his happiness unfaltering as I glare. My eyes soften when I see the look of pure joy on his face. Who could be mad at an excited Jungkook? No one.

Jungkook retrieves two tote bags before digging further into the closet, deep into the dusty corner where unused shoes are forgotten, and pulls out a pair of black and white sneakers that are clearly the wrong size for him.

"These were a gift from my brother a few years back. Even then, they were too small," he explains. "Sometimes I wonder if he was mocking me..." he thinks out loud before placing them in front of me. "Here, you can use them 'til we get you a proper pair."

I slip them on. The shoes, which were entirely too small for Jungkook, are still far too big for me—though they're much better than the torn-up shoes I came in with. I tug the laces tight as if lacing a corset, hoping they won't fall off. Jungkook quickly slips on a pair of sneakers too before opening the door, urging me to follow as he steps out.

I follow him out of the apartment, shielding my eyes from the sun once we step outside. People bustle about the streets, as they always do, rushing off to wherever they're needed next. Somehow, I don't feel threatened by them anymore now that I'm walking beside Jungkook. I won't deny, though, that it still doesn't sting when their eyes linger on my ears.

"Come on," Jungkook encourages, turning to make sure I'm keeping up. I quicken my pace to match his, having to take a lot more steps to keep up with his long legs. Jungkook notices that I'm basically jogging and slows down to a comfortable median.

We walk down the familiar street towards—if my memory serves me right—a large shopping mall. I look around, keeping my eyes peeled for a particular building. Once I spot it, I stop Jungkook by tugging on his sleeve.

"Let's go there," I say, pointing to a cosy café across the street. It's quaint and homely, the large floor-to-ceiling windows displaying an array of freshly baked goods—pastries I've been coveting for months. Jungkook looks at me with an eyebrow raised. "I heard they make really good coffee," I try to convince him, and luckily, it works.

As we enter the store, a loud bell rings overhead, and the comforting smell of cinnamon buns and coffee wafts over us. The middle-aged woman at the counter, who must be in her late fifties, glances up at me.

"Dear, I've told you this many times: strays aren't allowed inside," she chides me, as she has many times before. I can see Jungkook pipe up to say something, but I beat him to it.

"Then you'll have no issue with me being here, I'm sure," I proudly respond. The woman's head whips up in confusion before she spots Jungkook behind me. Within seconds, her sympathetic look is replaced with a grin.

"Oh! You finally found a home!" she cheers, inviting us to step fully inside. When we step in front of the counter, she leans forward. "I was beginning to doubt that I'd ever see the day that you, devious rascal, would get adopted."

Jungkook looks at me as if to ask if I know the woman, to which I shrug.

We place our orders—Jungkook, who's still slightly dazed and confused, orders a simple black coffee, and as for me, I simply ask for a small cinnamon bun. The lady jots it down in her notepad.

"Please, take a seat. I'll bring it all over to you momentarily," she implores. "I'll charge you only half the price—consider it a gift. This only applies for today, though. I have to make money somehow," she laughs.

Once the lady has left to prepare our orders, Jungkook gives me a suspicious look.

"You heard they have good coffee here, right?" he asks. I sense a trap.

"...Yes?" I answer, unsure what he's getting at.

"Yet you didn't order any," he points out. "And for some reason, you seem to know the owner."

I glare at him begrudgingly.

"Alright, Sherlock. I tried to steal pastries from her a few times—you got me. She'd always catch me and begrudgingly turn me away, knowing that having a shabby hybrid in her store wouldn't be good for business. Beyond that, she's just a sympathetic stranger," I explain. "I wanted to come back here and finally get my hands on one of those sweet, sweet pastries, now that she won't turn me away."

Jungkook nods understandingly. "I can see why that'd be important to you," he tells me earnestly, but before I can say anything back, the lady returns with our orders. She gives us a quick smile before leaving again to tend to other customers.

I begin to eat, savouring every bite of the heavenly bun.

"Bo-young," Jungkook interrupts my feasting. "There is one thing I think we should discuss about official adoption that I've been avoiding until now."

"Official adoption? What's so bad about that?" I ask with my mouth full.

"Well, the thing is-" he pauses, clearly not thrilled about the subject matter. "Collars."

My eyes widen. "No, no, no. I'm not into that kinky shit, sorry my dude," I object loudly.

"That's not what I meant- I mean, it's customary! It's like- all hybrids with homes have collars-" Jungkook says awkwardly, waving his hands frantically as he tries to explain. "That way you won't be assumed to be a stray."

"Fine, as long as I don't need to wear it inside, and as long as you choose it," I lay down my terms, my arms crossed as I begrudgingly agree.

"Sure—wait. Why do you want me to choose?" he asks.

"Because if I had the choice, I'd reject everything I see."

"That's... understandable," he utters with a chuckle. "Sure, if you're fine with it, I'll choose one. How's lime green with orange glitter?"

I shoot him a deadly glare. If looks could kill, he'd already be six feet under. Unaffected by my evil eye, he laughs.

"Okay, okay. No need to glare daggers. I'll pick something nice, I promise," he says. "Now eat up, I want to make it to the shopping centre before the crowds."