FINALE Pt.1

(AN: I never finished the piece that was supposed to accompany this chapter. Oops.)

BO-YOUNG

I bounce my leg nervously as I idly listen to Suhye and Jimin chat, shovelling snacks into my mouth from the bowl resting in my lap. Despite Jimin's best efforts to ease my nerves, I can't help but fret.

I check my phone.

"It's been so long," I say when I sense a lull in their conversation. Suhye looks at me with either pity or compassion, sensing my worry.

It isn't difficult to notice my mood, even for someone who isn't a hybrid themselves. My flattened ears, visible restlessness, and my compulsive habit of tugging on my ears speak volumes. Even Jimin, who isn't well-versed in hybrid behaviour is acutely aware of my anxiety – he doesn't seem phased by it, though.

"It's almost time for the fireworks," I state, "He might miss it."

Jimin eyes me before saying: "He won't miss it."

Before he can say anything more, the back door opens, and in walks Jungook. He seems to be slightly out of breath. His nose and cheeks are flushed from the cold outside. He scans the room, his eyes flitting from Jimin to Suhye before landing on me. When he spots me, he seems to light up.

"Bo-young," he says, his voice quieter than usual.

"Jungkook," I reply, in exasperated relief.

"Mind joining me out here?" he invites. I expect him to elaborate, but he doesn't.

"Is there a point in me asking why?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

He shakes his head.

"None at all," he answers. "Now come."

He urges me forward.

I pull on a pair of boots, a jacket, and a scarf before heading to the door, where Jungkook is waiting.

When we make it outside, I'm hit with a wall of ice-cold air much colder than it was before, the night breeze making it feel like it's sub-zero. During our short time inside, the sky has darkened considerably, making the array of stars seem brighter. Above us, wispy clouds have formed, dropping a light drizzle of snowflakes.

Jungkook takes my hand, leading me away from the warm light coming from inside and towards the darkened lake, where I see a familiar rickety jetty – I'm surprised it's still standing.

"Careful," Jungkook warns as he leads me down towards the docked boat – the same old boat we rowed back in autumn – which is tied to the dock with a sturdy rope.

He gestures for me to get on the boat. As I step down onto the boat, Jungkook holds me steady by my hand. It dips slightly with my added weight, rocking slightly as I move the pair of rubber wellies off the seat and sit down. Jungkook steps in after me, causing much less rocking as he sits down on the bench-like seat next to the well-kempt wooden oars.

Not a single word is spoken as Jungkook unties the rope and begins rowing.

I lean back on the seat, looking up at the star-specked sky as I listen to the calming sound of the boat moving through the serene water. I move my attention to Jungkook, who is focused on rowing, his mildly-laboured breaths dissipating into the cold air.

"So," I say, breaking the silence. Jungkook's eyes meet mine. "I assume this is one of your cheesy grand gestures?"

Jungkook instantly averts his eyes, a guilty caught-red-handed grin spreading across his face. His face – which was already read from the cold – reddens to a furious blush.

"Fine, you got me," he admits.

"Well, I'm hardly Sherlock Holmes for figuring this obvious mystery out," I say with a chuckle, waving my hands for emphasis. Jungkook's face reddens as he chuckles too.

"Well, Miss Holmes, I'm sure you've figured out where we're going," he says, tilting his head back to gesture at the abandoned house behind him – the one we're heading towards.

It looks the same as it did in the Autumn, other than the layer of snow coating the roof. The sight of the seemingly sedate old house brings back fond memories of us rowing out in the evening – the warm rays of the setting sun, the way the light glistened in the lake water, the falling red and orange leaves decorating the landscape. Now it's the dead of night and the colourful Autumn leaves have been buried by the snow.

"Well, yes. I know where we're going, but I have a thousand guesses for why," I say, to which Jungkook raises an eyebrow.

"Oh? I thought you'd have connected the dots already. Didn't you just say that I'm predictable?" Jungkook asks me. I get the feeling that he's teasing me.

"I never said that you are predictable; I implied it," I defend, crossing my arms, jokingly posturing.

Jungkook chuckles fondly, shaking his head.

"Well, Bo-young, I suppose you'll find out my plans soon," he says.

He rows the short way to the shore with a few powerful strokes, the boat rumbling and skidding to a halt as its underside meets the ground. He steps out onto the land, securing the boat before taking my hand and helping me to the ground. I mutter a 'thank you' to him, feeling glad to have solid ground under me.

Seconds after getting to land, we hear a loud pop in the distance before the sky lights up in the far distance. Both of us startle, our heads turning towards the town beyond the coast where another rocket rises into the air, exploding into another blast of colour.

Jungkook checks his watch again.

"Shit," he mutters to himself before taking off in the direction of the house, dragging me alongside him by my hand while I stare at the sky in awe.