CHAPTER 72

BO-YOUNG

The train car shakes as it barrels forward, taking us farther from the city. I imagined that this train ride would feel much harder than it actually does. After all, my life after Grace revolved around that very city; I made all of my best and worst memories there, experienced reliefs and regrets, found a life that was beyond what I thought I deserved. I was expecting to feel conflicted, but instead, I feel fine; the reason why being the man currently resting his head on my shoulder, fast asleep.

After yesterday's confessions, I thought things would be awkward, but they're not. Jungkook has a way of subverting my expectations without even knowing it. Things feel right as if nothing has really changed other than our view of things.

I look down at our interlocked hands that are comfortably lain on the cool Rexine-covered hand-rest. A small smile spreads across my face as I enjoy the moment.

Jungkook slowly shifts, lifting his head off my shoulder as he wakes up. His hair is sticking out awkwardly on one side of his head, the side on which he was resting.

"I'll never understand how you manage to sleep on trains," I remark, chuckling as my eyes keep wandering from his eyes back to his messy hair. Jungkook notices this and quickly flattens his hair.

"We woke up so early," he says through a yawn. "It wouldn't have been such an issue if we'd have gone to bed earlier."

I hold back a chuckle.

"Is seven early to you? And who was it that decided to go on a late-evening picnic?" I ask rhetorically.

Jungkook raises an eyebrow before muttering: "Touché."

A moment of silence passes, the rumble of the train accompanied by the hushed talking of other passengers being the only noises.

Jungkook looks out of the window beside me, the edges of which are obscured by a thin layer of frost, to find us passing by a sizeable town.

"How long was I asleep?" he asks, the tired rasp still in his voice.

I check the time before answering him.

"You slept for three hours," I inform him. "I imagine your neck must be killing you. Resting against a shoulder for three hours is not exactly comfortable."

Jungkook shrugs, moving his head from side to side, carefully cracking it.

"It was comfortable, though you're right. My neck has seen better days," Jungkook tells me. "The good thing is that we're almost there. I don't think I could handle being conscious for three more hours with nothing to do. The first four hours almost killed me."

I gasp in mock-offence.

"Was my wonderful company not enough?" I say dramatically, my hand on my heart as I exaggeratedly move to face away from him.

Through his laughs, I hear him object.

"No, no, no. It's not that," Jungkook beings. "It's just that my phone-"

"It's your fault you forgot to charge it overnight," I tease him. He gives me a sour look, eyeing my phone in envy.

Jungkook's evil eye ends abruptly as a loud robotic voice announces over the intercom that the train will be arriving at the station in half an hour.

Jungkook leans back in his seat, removing his hand from mine to stretch, the remaining drowsiness leaving him as he does so.

The train arrived at the station at half-past two after unexpected delays. Afterwards, Jungkook and I took a bus ride to the town where he's from, which he spent most of complaining about the train delay, ranting about how "trains are never on time," and how "I swear it's intentional. It can't be a coincidence that every train is always late." The rambling finally ended when we arrived at the bus stop.

Jungkook and I walk through the town, lugging twice as heavy luggage as we did on our last visit. We drag the heavy bags through the streets, then down the familiar narrow road lined with leafless trees. Sweat drips down my forehead as I re-adjust the heavy bag in my hand.

Quickly, the slightly unkempt wooden house comes into view. The two-story house is covered in pure white snow, the snow also on the ground all around it. It's untouched, other than the small dents left by forest critters.

Jungkook, who's carrying a large duffel bag twice the weight of what I'm struggling with, walks ahead with minimal issue, the bag slung over his shoulder. I watch as he walks to the porch far ahead of me, dropping his bag next to the door before briskly making his way back to me.

He notices my struggle.

"Do you want me to carry that for you?" he asks, his tone playful as he leans down to match my height. I glare at him.

"I'm strong enough to do it on my own," I say as I take more heavy steps forward, eager to prove that I can manage without him. Jungkook slowly walks next to me as I inch towards the house.

A mere ten steps later, I drop the bag onto the ground, massaging my hand as I breathe heavily. Jungkook moves to lift the bag.

"Back away from the bag, Beefy. I said I'll take care of it," I growl in petty determination. Jungkook lifts his hands up and backs away. I begin to literally drag it through the snow, tugging it up the small steps leading to the porch.

"What do you have in here that makes it so heavy?" I ask through my exhausted panting as Jungkook walks past me to go unlock the door.

He shrugs.

"A change of clothes for us, essential toiletries, some foodstuff, and a pot," he lists.

I stare at him, a look of both disbelief and utter contempt on my face.

"A pot," I repeat, my tone dripping with disdain. "You brought a goddamn pot, then had me lug it around?"

Jungkook looks at me, pursing his lips as he looks at me, wide-eyed, his face resembling a puppy that's been caught doing something it shouldn't be.

He remains silent for a few seconds before decisively saying: "Yes."

(AN: Finally! Another chapter!)

(Writing about public transport feels so forbidden nowadays.)

(I'm also considering drawing something for this story. If I were to make an illustration for this book, what would you guys want it to be?)

STRAY // JJK x HYBRID (bunny)✔️ Re-WritingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara