44. State of mind

Lina

I warily stand up, and slowly walk around the table on shaky legs. Am I imagining this? Are they really standing right there? Everything feels so unreal, I haven't seen them in five years.

I'm still slightly dazed as I stop in front of them. They both give me warm smiles, and pull me into hugs. It feels as if all my problems have been melted away, their hugs have always been so comforting, they feel like home.

I learned after a while that home isn't a physical place. Home is a state of mind. I haven't felt truly at home in so long.

"What are you guys doing here?"

Danny chuckles. "Well you can imagine our surprise when your boyfriend here-"

"Whom you never even mentioned to us," Aaron adds with a teasing smile. I guess the last time I spoke to them was before I had even met Pax.

"That too. He contacted us, and offered to fly us out to spend new years together," Danny explains.

Pax gives me a sheepish smile. "I know you don't like surprises Lina, but I really wanted to-"

I quickly rush over to Pax and pull him into a tight hug, slightly knocking the air out of him. "Thank you so much," I whisper. He smiles and kisses my forehead. I pause for a moment as I realize something. "You didn't invite my mom...right?"

Pax gives us a nervous look. "Er, yeah I did. Her and her husband. They're arriving tomorrow." He nods towards the living room, and we head in and sit.

I look at Danny and Aaron. I can't read Danny's expression, he became disturbingly good at hiding his feelings after dad died. Aaron however, looks clearly uncomfortable as he speaks, "I appreciate the thought Paxton, but we don't really get along with her these days."

"I didn't go to their wedding...did you guys?" It was three years ago, I was busy with finals, that's definitely why I didn't attend. I don't think I've ever even met my step dad or siblings in person. Both of them shake their heads.

Paxton puts his arm around my waist. "I'm really sorry, I didn't realize. Lina just made it sound like she really misses her."

"Of course I miss her," I sigh, "but everything's so different with her now. We have a new stepdad, George, and two new step siblings, Megan and Martin. It's like she just has this new life we're not a part of."

"When's the last time you guys spoke to her?" Aaron asks. "Probably around three years for me, to invite me to the wedding."

"Same," Danny nods.

I furrow my brows. "A year maybe?" I had called because I was so excited about getting the offer from Hansen Prep. Paxton gives me a look, that seems harsh. I shake my head. "I know we sound like terrible kids, but it's just really hard sometimes Pax. She didn't even come to my university graduation because Megan's junior high graduation was on the same day."

"She didn't come to my wedding either," Danny mutters. "Was five years ago, and happened to be on the same day as her one year anniversary with George."

"Fucking hell," Pax mumbles under his breath and runs his hand through his hair. This must be hard for him to understand, his family is so kind and considerate. "I guess I can't blame you guys for feeling so distant."

"Well, we actually used to talk a lot when I first left for uni, but the calls became less frequent after she started dating George," I pause for a moment, realizing what I had said. "I...guess I'm just not a priority anymore."