57. Taxi

Paxton

I sit at my desk, blankly staring at my screen. There's work I can do, hell there's always work to do, but I find my eyes constantly drifting to the corner of the screen, checking the time. It's getting late, nearly 6pm. Maybe she isn't coming.

My heart feels raw and achy. I've messed so many things up, maybe for good this time.

"Mr. Hayle?" Janet knocks lightly on my open door and peeks in. "I'm heading home now, is there anything you need?"

I glance up. "O-oh uh, no thank you. Have a good night Janet."

She hesitates for a moment before taking a couple cautious steps into my office. "Are you alright Mr. Hayle? You've been very...mood swingy for a month now," she asks softly. "I assume this has to do with the girl who nearly bulldozed me over in the hall the other day?"

"Yeah..." I mumble. "My ex." I almost feel sick referring to Lina as that. Janet waits for a moment for me to continue, which I don't do. She furrows her eyebrows and purses her lips at my refusal to elaborate.

"I'm going to need more than that," she says with slightly more force in her voice. It's a little odd not hearing her speak in her normally bubbly and cheerful tone.

"No offense Janet, but I don't exactly want love advice from a twenty two year old," I chuckle dryly.

She pouts. "Well first of all, you literally pay me to make your life easier," she states very matter of factly. "Second, I've been your PA for like four years now, I think I know you well enough to give you my input. So...go on."

I can't help but smile a little. "I'm glad I hired you Janet." She had been up against candidates who all had more experience than her, but I couldn't help but admire her I'm-not-leaving-this-room-till-you-hire-me type of attitude during the interview. I decided to take the chance, and she's now probably one of the best performing employees in the office.

She sits down and listens very intently as I explain what had happened. She sighs with a soft hum. "Well...what a mess."

I tiredly drag my hand down my face. I glance at the time again, it's nearly 6:30. "I doubt she's going to come."

Janet shrugs. "I wouldn't say that for sure. It sounds like you became a lot less hard headed - no offense, as you got to know each other. If she recognizes that, I think she'll come." She gives me an encouraging smile. "If she comes though, you know what you have to do, right?" she adds sternly.

I can't believe I'm being scolded by someone barely old enough to drink. "Yeah, yeah," I wave casually. We both look up at the sound of a knock at the door. My heart skips a beat when I see her. "Lina," I murmur.

"Well I guess that's my cue to leave," Janet whispers quickly and stands up. "Good luck."

"Thanks for talking to me Janet, I mean it." She gives me a quick smile and nod before leaving.

Lina slowly walks in and shuts the door behind her. "Hey," she mumbles.

"Care to take a seat?" I gesture to the sofas. She nods and follows me, sitting on the sofa across from me. "Thanks for coming," I say softly.

She just nods again.

I clear my throat awkwardly. "So uh, I just wanted to explain everything. Really explain this time. I understand if you don't want to forgive me, that's ok." Although I'm really hoping she does forgive me

She tucks a loose strand of her long shiny hair behind her ear. "Ok."

"Well...the thing with Abigail really threw me off mentally. I'm sorry I lashed out at you because of it. It's just that, I have a complicated relationship with her," I say. It hurts my heart reminiscing about this. "For the first couple years after finding out about Abigail, I didn't want her in my life, I selfishly wanted to use my time to do things I wanted to do."