56. Obvious

Lina

I gulp as I look up at the skyscraper. Above the automatic glass doors in giant chrome letters says Larsen Tower. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I've been having such a rough time since I saw Paxton last weekend.

Just one more chance.

I step inside the modern lobby, and take a look at the giant directory on the wall next to the elevator. I easily find what I'm looking for at the top of the list.

35th Floor. Offices 212-213

CEO - Elizabeth Larsen

COO - Paxton Hayle

I squish myself into a crowded elevator full of people dressed in expensive looking business attire. I feel incredibly out of place. With so many people entering and exiting, it takes around a minute to reach the top floor.

I step out and find myself in a small foyer. There's an empty desk across from the elevator with a small name plate on it.

Janet Sanders - PA to COO

I wonder where she is. As stressed and anxious as I am, I still think just barging in would be rude, so I take a seat by the elevator and wait for a bit, hoping she returns. My heart is racing, and the anticipation is driving me crazy. What am I even expecting? Was coming here a mistake?

I glance at my phone, fifteen minutes have already gone by. It takes a lot of willpower, but I go against my natural instinct to follow the rules, and I head down the hall.

The nameplate on the first door reads CEO - Elizabeth Larsen. The door is open, but no one is inside.

The door of the next room is ajar. The nameplate reads COO - Paxton Hayle. I can't see inside from the angle I'm at. I take in a deep shaky breath and step towards the door.

My jaw nearly hits the floor.

Paxton is at his desk, but he's not alone. Elizabeth is sitting on his lap, they're kissing. Her hands are running through his hair and gripping onto his tie. His hands are on her thigh and up under her shirt.

I gasp.

They quickly pull apart and their eyes widen when they see me. Elizabeth scrambles to get off his lap and Paxton quickly stands up. "O-oh shit, Lina," Paxton stammers, "I-it's uh, I, uh..."

I feel heat rush to my face and my eyes begin to water. I'm such a pathetic idiot. Of course he's moved on already. Wordlessly, I turn around and head back down the hall before he can see my tears. I'd like to save at least an ounce of dignity.

"W-wait, Lina," I hear Paxton call and his quick footsteps come closer. He grabs onto my arm. "It's...it's not what it looks like."

I turn around and raise an eyebrow. "I...can't imagine what else that could be, if it's not what it looks like. You've moved on, I understand." My heart breaks at my own words.

"W-wait no," he stammers. "Lina, please. I still care about you. This was just a...a one-time thing."

I hear Elizabeth scoff as she comes out of the office. I can tell she's straightened out her clothes and hair a bit. "You're absolutely in no position to be lying Paxton," she rolls her eyes. "Tell the poor girl the truth unless you want me to."

I feel a tear roll down my cheek as Paxton looks at me with guilty eyes. "Liz and I...slept together over the weekend. I'm so sorry."

I feel my already broken heart shatter into dust.