61. Together

Lina

I open the windows to let some air in the classroom. The air conditioning in the school has been broken for nearly a week now. The kids who have already arrived are fanning themselves with their notebooks. Even though it's only 8am, it's already so hot, reminding me that summer is slowly but surely creeping up on us.

"I can't believe we're already halfway through May, it feels like just yesterday I walked into this room for the first time," I murmur as I gaze out the window.

Eleanor chuckles. "Oh yes the years fly by. I can still remember my first year as a teacher, I was incredibly nervous," she smiles, "and now I'm somehow only a couple years from retiring."

"I haven't heard back from any of the schools I applied to yet," I wince. Most open positions were for high school teachers, definitely not my cup of tea.

Eleanor gives me a warm smile. "Well actually, I have a friend who teaches third grade at a school twenty minutes from here. She's retiring and the school's looking for a replacement." She sits down at her computer and opens something. "I hope you don't mind but I sent a letter of recommendation for you Lina. Let me forward it to you."

I feel my heart light up. "Oh Eleanor, thank you so much," I gush. The email pops up in my inbox.

RE: Teacher Recommendation

Hi Diana,

You mentioned over lunch the other day that you're looking for a teacher to replace you in September. I'd like to recommend my student teacher, Lina Neil. I've attached some samples of the work she's done at Hansen Prep.

She's been incredible with the kids and fellow faculty - everyone has loved her. Lina's demonstrated over and over again that she is well spoken, compassionate, intelligent, and resilient. Even though she went through a rough patch this year, she kept her head up and overcame her obstacles. I know she's going to excel wherever she ends up, and I'm going to miss her dearly.

Sincerely,

Eleanor.

I'm overwhelmed with emotions by the time I finish reading her email. "Oh Eleanor," I smile and give her a hug. "This is so kind, thank you."

"You're very welcome dear," she says softly. "I know you're going to be great."

-----

I glance at Abigail through the rearview mirror. "I hope you don't mind but I'm going to stop by the new house before I drop you off at Elizabeth's office." She's taking Abigail out for ice cream apparently, and knowing her, probably some new clothes and toys.

Abigail nods excitedly. "I'm excited to see my room!"

I chuckle. Pax went a bit overboard, and let Abigail work with the architects to design her new room. Last I heard, they're building her a giant loft.

I park at the curb since the driveway isn't finished yet. The sounds of power tools echo loudly from inside the empty house. We walk up the long path to the front door, or where the front door would go at least, it's currently just a clear hanging tarp. I hold it aside for Abigail to step inside.

The drywall hasn't been put up yet, leaving the bare wooden frames exposed. The floor is a bit dusty with sawdust, but everything is starting to come together. Even though I'm standing in what will eventually become the living room, it feels unreal. Paxton and I are building a house for the three of us to live in together.

Abigail heads down the hall to check out her room, while I head to the kitchen.

"Oh hello Ms. Neil." One of the carpenters looks up and takes off his helmet, dragging the back of his hand against his forehead. "How can I help you?"

"Hi Carl, hope I'm not getting in the way. I just wanted to check on the progress," I smile. More like Paxton wanted to check on the progress, but the carpenters were definitely getting tired of him impatiently checking in on them multiple times a day.

"Oh it's going well. At this rate, your family should be ready to move in by the end of June," he nods.

I'm so excited

-----

"Hey Pax," I peek past the open door into his office. Paxton is sitting at his desk, working on his computer.

He smiles when he sees me, the smile that I'll never get tired of seeing. He gets up and walks around to stand in front of his desk. "Hey Lina, how's the house going?"

I quickly walk in, shutting the door behind me. "Good, they said we should be able to move in by the end of next month!" I feel giddy with excitement. I lean against him, letting my hands rest on his chest.

"That's great," he grins and kisses my forehead. "It's becoming real eh?"

"Yeah," I smile. I can't believe we almost didn't make it here. I had changed my mind at the last minute to go to his office that night. Sometimes I'm worried it's all a dream, and I'll wake up alone again, but I don't. He's always there, and he always will be.

"Mr. Hayle?" We hear Paxton's assistant's voice come from the phone on his desk. "A package just arrived for you."

His face lights up and he quickly replies, "Thanks Janet, I'll be out in a moment." Paxton rushes out the door.

He comes back with a small box the size of a shoebox. His eyes are bright like a kid's on Christmas morning. He opens it, and unwraps the bubble wrap.

"What do you think?" He grins proudly. It's a new shiny gold desk plate, mounted onto a dark wooden base.

Paxton Hayle - CEO

"It's perfect." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Ahhh I can't believe it's over 😭😭😭 I have an epilogue coming up soon!

Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment if you enjoyed!