36. Dinner

Lina

"I can't believe you're really doing this," Emi rolls her eyes as she watches me cook dinner.

I look up from the stove, she's standing in the doorway with her arms crossed. "It was an...accident. How was I supposed to know he would think I was implying I wanted to spend time with Abigail!" I groan as I recall our phone call the other day. Is Abigail coming? Was all I asked when he invited me to dinner. "You look nice though."

She chuckles, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Thank you." She's finally on winter break, and has been going out on dates with someone. She claims he's not her boyfriend, but I'm doubtful. "Go get dressed, I'll make sure your food doesn't burn."

"Thanks Emi," I smile gratefully and hand her the spatula as I scurry off to my room. I take a quick glance at my phone, they should be here in around ten minutes. I put on my carefully chosen outfit, a white V-neck sweater dress and black tights; and a necklace and bracelet. Casual and dressy at the same time - that's what I'm going for at least. I put on makeup and brush my hair. Curling it while in a rush definitely sounds like a bad idea, especially considering how clumsy I am even when taking my time.

"Why are you having dinner here anyways?" Emi asks as I come back into the kitchen and she hands the spatula back to me.

"Paxton and I can't be seen in public together, and it felt risky having it at his place. Who knows what kind of tricks she could plan ahead of time," I grumble.

She gives me a sympathetic smile. "Well at least you can show off your new cooking skills." I'm lucky Emi's been helping me practice cooking lately. I made a simple leafy salad that's chilling in the fridge, a vegetable stir-fry I'm currently finishing up, the roasted potatoes and lemon-herb salmon are in the oven, and the panna cottas are hopefully solidifying quickly in the freezer. Her phone buzzes. "Oh! Looks like Brandon is outside, I'll see you tonight, good luck!" She grabs her bag and heads to the door.

As she's walking, the doorbell rings. I quickly leave the kitchen and catch up to her. Emi's eyes widen and she turns to me, "Can I sneak out the fire escape? I don't want to end up on that girl's hit list."

I roll my eyes. "Come on," I grumble and walk down the hall, with Emi slowly trailing behind. I take in a deep breath. It's just dinner, what could go wrong? I open the door, Paxton and Abigail are standing there, both smiling at me. I can see right through that smile of hers though. "Hi Pax, hi Abigail, please come in."

"Hey Lina," Paxton greets me and leans in to give me a quick kiss. I can see Abigail frowning in the corner of my eye.

"We got you these Ms. Neil," Abigail says in a soft voice, handing me a small bouquet of flowers and a bottle of nice wine.

"Oh, thank you," I say, slightly surprised, taking the wine and flowers.

"It was her idea," Paxton chuckles, giving her an endearing smile that she returns. He takes his coat off, he's wearing a burgundy blazer with a white dress shirt. I help him hang his coat up while he helps Abigail out of her fluffy white coat. She's wearing a red dress, the top has some subtle sequins, and the bottom is flared tulle. Her blonde hair is in a french braid, tied with a red ribbon at the bottom. She really looks like a little doll.

I hear Emi quietly clear her throat behind me. I almost forgot she was there, and Brandon is outside waiting for her. "Oh uh, Pax you remember Emi. Abigail, this is my roommate," I say politely. "She was just on her way out."

"Of course, nice to see you again," he nods cheerfully.

Abigail looks up at her with her wide blue eyes. "It's nice to meet you Emi," she says in a sweet tone. Emi seems a bit taken aback before exchanging goodbyes and heads out.