15. He trusts you

Paxton

I still have a faint smile on my face as I get home. Lina is so intelligent and kind, I really like spending time with her. It gives me this weird happy yet slightly uncomfortable feeling inside admitting that.

I hang up my coat and put my keys down on the table by the door. I can faintly hear noise coming from the living room. Dad is sitting in the living room watching hockey. "Hey Dad, thanks for watching Abby."

"No problem, I gotta do my share of the babysitting now that I'm nearly retired," he chuckles as he turns off the tv, "your mom is pretty happy about that."

"I'll bet," I laugh.

After dad leaves, I head down the hall to my room. Less than five seconds after closing my door, I hear a tiny knock. I open it and Abigail's there, holding her stuffed tiger and wearing her pink sleeping beauty nightgown - another overpriced gift from my parents. "Abby? Why are you awake?"

"Couldn't sleep," she shrugs before walking into my room and climbing onto my bed. She looks up at me with her big blue eyes, but they don't have the happy gleam they normally do.

"Are you alright honey?" I ask as I sit down next to her.

She nods. "I'm your favourite right?"

"Uh, my favourite what?" I raise an eyebrow.

She rubs her chin and thinks. "You love me the most right?"

I lift her onto my lap. "Of course, you're the most important person in the world to me."

"No matter what?" She rests her little head against my chest.

"No matter what," I whisper.

-----

After dropping Abby off, I head to the office. I'm running a bit late today, Abby was a bit sluggish, probably from the lack of sleep. I greet Natalia as I walk by her desk towards the elevator. I press the button for the 35th floor where my new office is. As the elevator is going up however, I notice a commotion through the glass doors on the 30th floor. I quickly press the button and get out.

People are all standing by the doors of one of the conference rooms. I spot Ryan. "What's going on?" I have to raise my voice to be heard over everyone talking in the narrow hallway.

"The marketing team was supposed to have a meeting in conference room A at 8:30. But apparently so does the finance team, and customer service team. The executive assistants from each department booked the room, and they somehow all got approved." He runs his hand through his hair tiredly. 

I groan, I'm sure I know how this happened. I clear my throat and make an announcement, "Alright, everyone, the marketing department will have their meeting now in conference room A. The realtor's meeting in room B should be finished in ten minutes, the finance team can have their meeting then. The customer service team can use the lounge for their meeting now." The chaos clears as everyone heads towards their respective locations.

"Thanks Pax." Ryan stands to the side as his team heads into the room. "Elizabeth?"

I sigh and lean against the wall. "Definitely, I'm gonna go find her." He pats my shoulder before heading into the room and shutting the door behind him.

The elevator doors open. "Morning Janet," I greet her tiredly as I walk by her new desk. I had her moved upstairs too so she'd be near my office again. I bang on the door across from mine with a shiny new door plate 'Elizabeth Larsen CEO.' I wonder what she did with the old one. I kept the door plate, 'Lincoln Hayle COO,' and displayed it on a shelf in my office.