5. Together

Paxton

I find Mom sitting at the dining room table, reading a book with a steaming cup of tea next to her. She glances up and takes off her reading glasses as I come in. "Hey Pax."

I sit in the seat across her. "Hi Mom, thanks a lot for watching Abby." I can always count on her to be there for me.

"No problem dear. She's in her room, resting the last time I checked."

She pauses and looks at me for a moment. By the look on her face, I can tell she knows exactly what I did today. I suppose that's what comes with having a mom who's a psychologist. "How was work?"

"Same old, same old." I know what she's trying to get at and I don't feel like talking about it, so quickly continue. "What a kid huh, wanting to do homework while she's home sick from school," I chuckle and roll my eyes. When I was a kid, I was thrilled to avoid anything school related when I stayed home sick.

Mom gives me an unimpressed look but lets it go. "She gets her work ethic from you, you know," Mom grins, "you've always been so dedicated towards your work."

"Yeah, but it's tiring to keep up with her sometimes, luckily she's much more well behaved than I was," I chuckle, "plus, I get it from you."

She shrugs and takes a sip of tea. "You don't get a PhD from slacking off."

"So how have things been?" I've been so busy lately that I haven't exactly been the greatest son. I don't remember the last time I even called mom to talk.

"Well your dad has been stressed about leaving things to you and Elizabeth," she says with a small frown, "I haven't seen Lincoln worry this much in decades."

I'm surprised to hear something like that. Dad rarely gets visibly stressed. "Really? Dad's always so laid back though."

Mom laughs and reaches across the table to rest her hand on mine. "He is, but he's also an incredibly caring person, so he's a big worrier. You should've seen how much he baby proofed the house when you and your sister were little."

Now that she mentions it, I do have vague memories of bubble wrap on the walls. "You should talk to him, let him know he has nothing to worry about."

She gives me a tired smile. "I've tried, but he always just says he's fine. Lincoln tries to hide it, but we've been married for thirty one years, I can tell when something's wrong."

I give her a sympathetic smile. "Well, he'll have nothing to worry about, since I'll be there," I grin.

She rolls her eyes and laughs. "I have no idea where you got your ego from. Maybe your aunt Jasmine."

"Hey, I'm definitely not like her," I grumble. Dad's sister has always been uptight and a perfectionist. "Any good news?"

"Oh Stephanie and Ray became grandparents last week. Braedyn had twins," mom says excitedly. I'm sure mom and dad must be so thrilled for their friends.

"Oh wow, twins run in the family I guess. How are they doing?" I'm sure Braedyn and Michelle must be exhausted. 

Mom laughs and shakes her head. "Surprisingly enough, quite assured and confident. Ray sounded really happy too. Steph on the other hand, sounded like she was having a crisis over getting old," she chuckles. "She's fine though. Even at sixty one, she's still as lively as ever."

I look at her sheepishly. "I guess you probably weren't expecting your first grandchild when I was only twenty two huh."

I still remember that day. I was incredibly anxious when I went to mom and dad's house with Tammy and Abigail the day we settled things with the lawyer. Obviously, they weren't impressed with how irresponsible and reckless I had been, and took a while to process everything - their overachieving son had gone off and gotten a girl pregnant. They were so worried about how I would handle things. Luckily, they were supportive after we talked things out, and they love Abigail so much.