46. It's over

Lina

Even though he denies it, I can tell Pax is loving the opportunity to show off to my brothers. We take his nicest car to go to lunch. My other cars need maintenance, he said. I'm sure they do.

We end up at one of the most popular restaurants downtown, and he just so happens to have connections there. I suppose it's hard to not have connections when your company owns probably more than half of the buildings in the city.

It's very modern and crowded. Large glass windows make up most of the walls, clean white tiled floors, black marble tables, and various potted plants. Several groups of people are waiting by the front for a table.

"Andy!" Paxton greets the host at the podium as soon as we enter.

"Hey Pax, it's been a while," the host grins. "Sorry I couldn't make it to the party."

"Oh no worries," Pax waves his hand casually. "This is my girlfriend Lina, and her brothers, Aaron and Danny by the way."

"Hey, I'm an old friend of Paxton's," he smiles before grabbing some menus and leads us through the restaurant. I give sheepish, apologetic looks to the people still waiting for tables, frowning at us.

"So, are you nervous about meeting our mom?" Danny asks Pax once we're settled at our table. I've been so worked up over seeing mom again that it completely slipped my mind - I'm introducing Pax to my mom. I guess meeting parents is sort of a big deal. I can't remember the last time I've introduced a guy to her.

Paxton simply shrugs. "Yes and no. Of course I want to make a good impression, but I'm more concerned about how things are going to go between her and you guys."

I look at Danny and Aaron sternly. "Please be on your best behaviour guys, don't forget it's our first time meeting George." I facetimed with him and mom a couple times years ago, and as much as it pains me to admit it, he seems like a nice guy.

"Yes ma'am," Aaron teases.

We end up having an incredibly eventful day. Ice skating, museums, sightseeing, a fancy restaurant for dinner and a fancy café for dessert.

I have so much fun I almost forget we have to see mom tomorrow.

Almost.

-----

The clock on the wall echoes in the living room as time goes by painfully slowly.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

We sit in silence tensely, Danny and Aaron are on either side of me on the sofa.

"Jesus Christ."

We all jump at Paxton's sudden entrance. He squints a bit in confusion at the sight of us as he comes into the living room. I can't help but relax a little bit as I watch him yawn and run his hand tiredly through his messy hair. He definitely just woke up.

"Morning Pax," I say softly. I follow him to the armchair and squish myself next to him.

He lazily drapes his arm around me. "Hey...when did you guys get here? It's so early," he mumbles, voice still heavy with sleep. "It's 7am. Your mom's plane lands at 11, were you just planning to sit here like this for another four hours?"

Danny and Aaron look a little embarrassed. "No I suppose not," Danny sighs, leaning back against the sofa. "We're just nervous. The last time Aaron and I saw her was when we stormed out on Christmas."