48. Birthday

Paxton

"So uh," I begin. Lina lifts her head up from my chest and looks at me curiously. I absentmindedly run my hand up and down her smooth back under the sheets. "I know it's over two weeks away, but do you want to do something for Valentine's Day?" I've had girlfriends who lost their shit when I didn't have something fancy planned.

She giggles a little. "Well, I'm not a huge fan of Valentine's Day. It's a hallmark holiday," she shrugs casually before her eyes slightly widen. "Oh well I mean, we can totally do something if you want to."

I chuckle and kiss her forehead. "No it's fine, I feel the same." She nods and snuggles herself back against me. "If anything, I'm glad we're secure enough to not need a silly holiday to show how much we love each other."

"Aww," she smiles and places a delicate kiss on my cheek. I feel her body slightly stiffen for a moment though. "Well...speaking of our relationship..."

I furrow my brows. "Yeah?" I get a heavy feeling in my chest when I see how nervous she looks, this doesn't seem good. I prop up my pillow so I can sit up, and she sits on my lap.

Her eyes don't meet mine and she fiddles with her fingers as she begins to speak. "Well, we've been together for a while now... and I'm always either here...or you're over at my place," her eyes flicker to mine briefly. "I thought...maybe we could go on to the next step in our relationship...and move in together?" Her voice quietly trails off as she finishes her sentence.

Well ok that wasn't as catastrophic as I thought it was going to be. "Oh," I'm not sure what to say. There's an uncomfortable tightness in my chest as I realize how fast things seem to be moving. I've only ever had one girl move in with me, Elizabeth. I try my best to push away the feeling. "I...don't think I'm ready for that yet Lina, I'm sorry," I mumble, feeling like a jerk.

Her cheeks turn pink as she quickly nods. "Y-yeah it's ok, it was a dumb suggestion anyways."

I use a bent finger under her chin to tilt her face towards mine. "Hey don't say that," I say softly. "It's not dumb, I'm just...not used to this." I still vividly remember laying in that hospital bed when I was eight, convincing myself that committing so much time and emotion towards someone wasn't worth it. Promising myself that I would never let myself feel so heartbroken again.

"It's ok," Lina nods. She clears her throat and quickly changes the subject. "How about your birthday this weekend? What are your plans?"

I groan and drape my arm around her small body. "Don't remind me, I can't believe I'm turning thirty." Where the hell have the years gone?

She giggles. "You're not even that old."

-----

"Happy birthday!" Lina's cheerful voice calls.

I groan as I hear the rustling of curtains and the room suddenly gets very bright. I squint at the clock on my nightstand and squish my face into my pillow. "Lina...baby...as much as I love you," I grumble, muffled into my pillow, "Being woken up at 8am on a Saturday is not how I want to start my birthday."

She ignores me and climbs into bed. "I made your favourite breakfast," she whispers into my ear.

I slowly lift my face from the pillow. She's looking at me with a wide smile and her bright green eyes practically glitter. Even though I'm exhausted, I can't help but smile at her. I'll never get tired of the way she smiles at me. "Thank you," I kiss her forehead.

"But first," she grins mischievously, "present number one." She places soft kisses along my jaw and my neck. She trails lower, delicate pecks down my chest and torso. I feel my blood rush south as she goes lower. I groan as I feel myself be enveloped by the impossibly soft and warm feeling of her.