53. Café

Lina

I get a message from Aaron while laying tiredly in bed.

A: You're joining us tonight right? You can't bail again sis

We decided to have family video calls twice a month now, just so everyone can chat and keep each other updated on our lives. I skipped the last one, I told them something came up last minute. I was too miserable to talk, or even just show my face to them.

L: Yeah

I splash my face with some cool water, trying to make myself look more normal, and not like my heart feels like it's been shattered into a million pieces. Maybe I should put on some makeup to hide the redness.

I join the call and, of course, everyone can immediately tell something is wrong.

"Honey? What's the matter?" Mom asks first.

I promised myself I wouldn't cry. I'm so tired of breaking down, but I can already feel the heavy feeling building up in my chest. "I-it's...nothing," I mumble, staring at my keyboard. I can't bear to look at their pitying faces.

"Hell it is," Aaron frowns. "This better not be about Paxton."

I glance up at my screen. Unsurprisingly, Danny and Aaron both look ready to hunt Paxton down, even though they're thousands of miles away. Although, I wouldn't put it past them to hop on the next flight over. "Guys," I sigh a little, "please don't do anything irrational."

"It's not irrational," Danny growls. "He hurt our little sister."

I bite my lip, already feeling tears start to well up in my eyes. I reach to the side, and pull a tissue out of the box. "Could we just...talk?" I ask meekly, dabbing at my eyes.

"Of course honey," Mom's voice is gentle and caring. "Tell us whatever you want to."

I sniffle a little, and try to calm my breathing. "Well...I guess it started back in September when we first met."

I tell them everything. How Paxton and I began dating, and decided to keep it a secret. Abigail threatening me until I broke up with Pax. Abigail tormenting me after we got back together. Astrid's implications about Pax's past, and him refusing to tell me anything. The fight we had at the beginning of the month that broke us up. Then refusing to talk to him when he came over last night.

I wanted to talk to him, I really did, but I knew it would be a bad idea. He really hurt me, and Emi's right, I've let that happen to me much too many times. He keeps texting and calling, I can't respond. I've gotten a little better, I've gotten used to life without him. Seeing him again would just send me tumbling back to square one.

I have to pause several times throughout the story though, either to calm Aaron and Danny down, or to assure mom my world isn't ending. They're all a bit stunned by the time I finish.

"Jesus christ Lina," Danny tiredly drags his hand down his face. "Who knew how dramatic being an elementary school teacher could be."

I can't help but laugh a little. It's nice to finally let everything out. Even though she's one of the most understanding people I know, I was too embarrassed to tell Emi everything I had done. The mess I had caused myself, even after she told me how wary she was of Paxton in the first place. I'll probably talk to her about it later though, I owe it to her to tell her the truth. "It's nuts how much chaos something silly like dropping a box of Halloween decorations could cause."

Everyone laughs and nods in agreement.

"When's the last time you've left the house Lina?" Mom asks, bringing her face slightly closer to her screen. I guess she's noticing how much of a mess I look like right now. "For something besides work."