16. Forever

Jason - 27 years ago

Paxton: Aged 2, Parents: Mid 30's

I order another round of drinks for the table, and a non alcoholic one for Vanessa. We're celebrating the third anniversary since I took over Larsen Realty, as well as an early celebration for my thirty sixth birthday. I can't remember the last time we all got together without bringing our kids along.

"I'm going to go to the washroom, this baby is crushing my bladder," Vanessa grumbles. I quickly stand up to help her out of her chair. My poor wife, luckily she's due in two weeks, and I'm so excited to meet my first daughter.

"I still don't know how you did it," Stephanie chuckles, leaning closer to me across the table with a mischievous look in her bright green eyes.

"Do what?"

"Trick Vanessa into marrying you. How can someone so kind and compassionate stand being with you?" She teases me and laughs. She knows I've changed, but the version of me she knew, all the way back in university, still lingers in her mind. I don't blame her, I was a bad person.

"I can imagine," Katie giggles and takes another sip of her drink. She's definitely had too much to drink, her face is pink, and it's not like her to bring up our past.

Lincoln seems to think the same, and eases her glass out of her tight grip. "Pace yourself honey," he says, placing it back down onto the table. I guess I can understand, she has a two year old, and free time to enjoy yourself is a very rare thing when you have a toddler. Luckily Lincoln's mom is a saint and loves kids, so she's babysitting all of our kids tonight.

"Hey come on, she asked me out," I retort.

We met seven years ago, Belle had broken her leg the day before her thirteenth birthday and I brought her to the hospital. Vanessa was her nurse, and she was so sweet and kind - she brought Belle a birthday cupcake when she found out she had to cancel her party. I went with Belle every time she had a checkup for her leg, so I'd get to see Vanessa. I didn't even feel the need to turn on my usual charm, everything felt so natural around her. She asked me out the day Belle got her cast off. Then we dated for a year before we got married, and Albert was born two years after that.

"Yeah yeah," Stephanie waves her hand and rolls her eyes.

"Aw leave him alone Steph," Tina nudges her. "Think about how different you and Ray are."

"We balance each other out," Ray chuckles and puts his arm around Stephanie. Those two are pretty much the epitome of 'opposites attract.' "So how have things been at work since Lincoln joined?"

"Great, this guy here saved my ass," I chuckle. "We've pretty much recovered from the disaster that was my first year. If things continue to go the way they're going, the company should be worth even more than it was when my parents owned it by next year."

Lincoln laughs. "Hey it was a team effort. Things are going great though, I'm really glad I joined," he pauses and looks at Ray, "I guess this is all thanks to you Ray, we owe you big time for suggesting it."

"I wonder what's taking Vanessa so long, I think I'm going to go check on her," Tina says, and gets up. She rushes back less than a minute later. "Alright don't panic, but Vanessa is having contractions."

My eyes widen and I quickly stand up. "Wait what? She's not due for another two weeks!"

"It could be a false alarm, but we still should bring her to the hospital," she says and runs back to the washroom to get Vanessa.