20. Nothing to lose

Paxton

I've barely settled into my office before Elizabeth strolls in without knocking.

"So how was the call yesterday?" She bites her lip nervously, looking the tiniest bit hopeful.

"No luck, I tried everything I could, but it looks like Brooke Realty owns that property now," I sigh, "Liz, I'm going to have to schedule a meeting with our dads to talk about this."

She smirks. I can tell there's trouble brewing by that look on her face.

"No, you're not going to do that," she smiles smugly. She sits down on the chair in front of my desk and flips her hair over her shoulder.

"Why not?" I raise an eyebrow at her. I don't understand where this could be going.

"You don't want your girlfriend to get in trouble, do you?" she mocks me.

My heart skips a beat. "What?"

"I overheard your phone call last night." She begins reading from something on her phone, "Lina Neil, born June 19th, aged twenty four, student teacher for Eleanor Able's grade two class at Hansen prep, daughter of Jane Neil, Bachelor's degree in social work, Master's student at-"

"That's enough," I growl. How the hell?

She reads the expression on my face. "You seem to be forgetting I come from a very powerful family Pax. I have connections with people on the city's school board, and I can expose her little secret just like that," she snaps her fingers.

"So what do you want from me?" I ask, still in disbelief at her malice.

"I want you to cover for my mistake. Our dads are obviously going to notice the property going over to Brooke, you're going to come up with an explanation that doesn't involve me," she explains. "I don't care what it is, as long as I'm not the one getting in trouble."

"Jesus Christ Elizabeth. Why can't you be an adult and own up to your mistakes?" I snap at her.

"We both know plenty of people, including my dad, are doubting my capabilities to run this company. I can't let this get out and have them think they're right," she frowns.

"Do you even hear yourself?" I sigh.

She shrugs nonchalantly. "It's either this or she loses everything."

"Fine, I'll cover," I grumble.

Did I really just agree to this? I can't believe I'm doing something like this, but I don't see any other option.

"Great." She gives me an extremely fake sickly sweet smile as she stands up and heads to the door. "And she's twenty four? She's practically a child Pax."

"Still more mature than you," I growl. We're only five years apart, what's the big deal?

She just shrugs without turning around. "Whatever you say Pax. Poor girl, has she even met the real you?"

I feel my stomach drop at her words, but I ignore the feeling. "You're unbelievable, you know that?" I sneer.

She pauses and turns around. She laughs humorlessly, "You're the one I don't believe right now Pax. I'm surprised this even worked."

I narrow my eyes at her. "What are you talking about?"

"The Paxton I know wouldn't have given a fuck about a threat like this," she scoffs, "you have nothing to lose here, only she does."

I shoot daggers at her with my eyes. She doesn't break eye contact, and just gives me a devilish smirk.

"You know I'm right," she hisses, her voice dripping with venom, before leaving.