45. A Talk

Paxton

"Would either of you like a drink?" I nod to my liquor cabinet. It's quite impressive if I do say so myself. It's a custom made cabinet, filled with only high quality liquors and expensive glasses. The whiskey Lina got me is now placed proudly in the center, along with the engraved glass. It makes me chuckle a bit every time I notice it. I'm saving that for a special occasion, of course.

They both accept, and I pour them glasses of nice whiskey. "Please sit," I nod towards the leather sofa at the side of the room. I lean against the mantle of the fireplace perpendicular to them. "So, what would you like to know?" I grin.

They seem a bit taken aback at how confident I seem. I guess her family isn't used to her dating someone like me either. "Mm, could you tell us about your daughter?" Aaron asks, "You must've been young when she was born eh. You're twenty eight? Nine?"

"Yeah, I'm twenty nine. I was admittedly quite reckless when I was young," I say sheepishly. "I was in an unhealthy relationship. We broke up, and a year later, she showed up at my door with our baby."

Danny nods. I expected more of a negative reaction, not that I'm complaining. They seem to be very understanding, just like Lina. "So how are things now? With your ex and daughter?"

I turn a framed picture on the fireplace towards them. It's one of my favourite pictures, it's Abby on her fourth birthday. The first birthday I had spent with her. She's putting a sparkly, cone birthday hat on my head. "Abigail is great. I honestly never thought I'd even be a parent, but she's one of the most important people in the world to me, along with Lina of course," I grin. "My ex...I wouldn't say we're incredibly friendly with each other, but we get along with each other well enough for Abby to feel safe."

They both nod approvingly. "I guess I can't be too judgmental," Aaron chuckles, "I had my fair share of pregnancy scares with several girls back in university."

Danny rolls his eyes. "So how'd you end up at Larsen Realty anyways? And in such a high position at such a young age?"

I almost don't want to answer this. There's some element of nepotism to it, sure, but I still worked my ass off, unlike Elizabeth, to get where I am. "Well, my dad was business partners with the CEO for around thirty years, they go way back, friends since elementary school." I can already see the slightly judgmental expressions on their faces.

"So, he helped you get the position?" Danny quirks a brow.

"Well, yes, but it's not exactly what you think," I explain. "I started at the bottom just like everyone else, eight years ago. Not even as a realtor, I was an assistant to one of the realtors." What an awful year that was, he was terribly incompetent.

"I see," Aaron nods. "So you worked your way up?"

"Yup."

"I can respect that." It feels a bit strange trying to get the approval of her brothers. They're only two and four years older than me, but I know how important they are to Lina - that makes them important to me too. "You must have quite an impressive salary I assume?"

"Er, yeah. I suppose I'm...comfortable," I nod awkwardly. I don't really enjoy talking about money.

"We hope you're not spoiling Lina or anything like that." Aaron raises an eyebrow.

"Lina is an independent, intelligent lady who can fend for herself," Danny states. I can tell they're both trying to be serious, but I see the slightly endearing smiles peeking through. Lina claims I do the same with Astrid.

"Oh I know," I chuckle, "I've dated girls who turned out to be gold diggers, and she's definitely nothing like them. Lina's made it loud and clear that she doesn't need my money. She works hard to get what she wants, it's admirable, really."