25. Pick me up

Paxton

"Since we sold our ocean view high rise, I-" My phone starts ringing, "Sorry everyone." I quickly take it out of my pocket. I'm about to send it to voicemail, until I notice it's Abigail.

"Uh, Elizabeth would you mind continuing? I need to take this," I ask. She raises an eyebrow, it's not like me to leave in the middle of things, but nods anyways. I leave the executive board meeting room and pick up.

"Hi Abby, is everything OK?" I can't remember the last time she's called me.

"D-daddy? Could y-you..." I hear the heartbreaking sound of my precious little girl crying.

"Honey? What's wrong?"

"C-could you pick me up? P-please?"

"OK, could I talk to mom? Where is she? Are you at home?" I stammer, extremely confused and worried.

"S-she's downstairs, please c-come," she sobs.

"OK honey, I'll be there as soon as possible." I quickly pop back into the meeting room. "Hey everyone, sorry but I'm going to have to go, it's an emergency."

-----

"God dammit Tammy pick up," I groan after my call goes to voicemail for the fifth time. I'm nearly at her place, and have been trying to get a hold of her the entire way here.

I do a terrible job at parallel parking and go to her front door. I bang impatiently. A tall man with light brown hair and a beard opens the door. "Can I help you?" he asks in a gruff voice.

"Who are you? And where the hell is my daughter?" I growl.

Tammy comes outside and looks confused. "Paxton? What are you doing here?"

"Where's Abby?" I demand.

"Daddy!" I hear a small voice cry, and Abigail wiggles her way out between the doorframe and Tammy. Her eyes are red and her face is stained with tears. I quickly crouch down and she collapses into my chest crying.

"Abby?" Tammy looks shocked. "What's wrong honey? I thought you were upstairs reading?"

She doesn't answer, and just buries her face deeper into my shoulder and clings on to me. "I'm taking her early for my week," I say curtly before picking Abby up and bringing her to the car. Tammy's eyes are wide but she nods wordlessly.

I text Janet, letting her know I'm taking the rest of the day off.

-----

I'm sitting on Abigail's pastel pink bed. There's a half empty mug of hot chocolate and half a plate of cookies on her nightstand. There's gentle music playing from her ballet music box, and the room has a soft yellow glow from her flower shaped night light.

She's still curled up on my lap, arms wrapped tightly around me. I hold her and gently stroke her hair as she quietly rests against my chest.

"Are you ready to talk sweetheart?" I whisper.

"No," she mumbles quietly, muffled into my chest.

I sigh and kiss the top of her head. I've never seen her this upset for this long before. She's never been this difficult to console either. I feel so lost, I have no idea what to do. Maybe mom could help.

"I'm going to make a call to grandma Katie OK honey? Just call for me if you need anything." She nods. I help tuck her and her stuffed tiger into bed, and leave her door slightly ajar.