17. Careful

Paxton

I enter the brown wooden gates to the playground area. There are a bunch of kids running around, laughing and screaming. They jump and climb on the brightly coloured playground, displaying strangely impressive feats of athleticism. It doesn't take me long to spot Abigail on the swings. "Daddy!" she calls as she jumps off the swing at its highest altitude, and skips over to me. "Can I stay here a bit longer?"

"Sure, I'll just be over there," I nod toward the benches where several other parents are sitting, the majority of them look exhausted. I can't blame them, most of the parents at this school have some sort of high-level job, I'm usually exhausted by the end of the workday too. I spot Lina sitting on one, and I head over to her. She's bundled up in a coat and scarf, the tip of her nose is slightly pink. "Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"Teachers volunteer to supervise the playground after school," she explains, looking a bit tired. She checks her watch. "Another ten minutes before the next teacher comes and I can go home."

I look at her sympathetically. "Long day?" I can't imagine handling an entire room of kids for seven hours a day, and then volunteering additional time to watch them. It must take a ton of patience.

She nods. "Teaching cursive is such a mindless and useless way to spend time. I don't even remember the last time I've written in cursive."

I don't remember the last time I've even written by hand. Everything at the office is done on computers. Why am I thinking about this when I have more important things to talk about? "So, I was thinking that we should go on another...not-date date," I say, trying to sound casual but a hint of hopefulness slips out anyways.

It took a lot of thought to decide whether or not I wanted to ask Lina out again. I can't even remember the last time it was me asking the girl out on a second date, rather than the other way around. It feels like we're getting closer, and it's exciting but also a bit scary.

She looks unsure. "We both know we're lying to ourselves. I like you, but I'm worried, I could get into a lot of trouble."

"We'll be careful," I try to coerce her. It's been a while since I've felt this strongly about someone, I don't want to let her slip away. I have to stop myself from touching her, there are too many parents around. I gaze intently at her, and she bites her lip. I think I'm wearing her defense down. "Don't worry, no one will find out."

She frowns. "Neither of us know that for sure. I'm just kind of afraid to take a risk like this."

I suppose she has a point. I scoot slightly closer to her on the bench. "Please? I really like you Lina," I say softly, giving her my best charming smile. "You can't tell me that you didn't enjoy it last time."

"Well, yeah I did have a lot of fun with you," she admits. Her green eyes glimmer and she smiles shyly. "Alright, how about Saturday?" There's a small fluttery feeling in my chest when she says yes that I haven't felt in a long time.

"Sure, I'll pick you up after I drop off Abby," I say before she can suggest separate cars again.

The wind picks up, and we're hit with a cold gust. Lina shivers a bit, and I can't help but notice that the wind pushed her hair over her other shoulder. Peeking above her scarf at the back of her neck seems to be a tattoo, something written in dark purple ink. Too much of it is covered to be decipherable. She didn't strike me as the type to get a tattoo. I'm about to ask about it until we're interrupted.

"Neil." We hear a gruff voice say.

We turn, and an older man is standing behind the bench. He looks at me, and the corners of his mouth slightly tug upwards. "Hayle."