37. Disaster dinner

Lina - 12 years ago

Lina: Aged 12

I adjust the angle of my webcam before joining the call. It makes me smile, seeing their friendly faces again, even if it's just over the internet.

"Hey sis," Aaron says cheerfully, "how's it going?"

"It's good, I'm finally on winter break now!" I say gleefully.

Danny chuckles. "You two are lucky, I still have a final exam tomorrow."

I raise an eyebrow. "Shouldn't you be studying?" Danny has somehow always gotten good grades, even without trying sometimes.

"Don't worry, I've studied enough already, it should be a breeze tomorrow," he grins. "So what was it you wanted to talk about?"

I hesitate for a moment, I know they probably aren't going to react well. "Mom asked me to ask you two to come back for the holidays."

Aaron raises an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Does this have to do with that guy? Ted? Fred?" Danny scowls. "She's still with him?"

"Ed," I quickly say, "and yeah she is. She wants us to have dinner for Christmas with him." They both frown.

"Based on what I've heard, he seems questionable at best," Danny states. "I'd much rather visit Christie's family with her." Seems weird to me, the two of them have only been together for a few months. None of my business I guess.

"Please?" I ask desperately. "Don't make me go through this alone. I miss you guys so, so much." I haven't seen Aaron since he left for school last year, and Danny since he left for school three years ago. I've wanted to fly out to see them, but mom always says no.

Both of their expressions soften

-----

"Danny!" I open the front door and pull him into a tight hug, nearly knocking his suitcase back down the steps. I take a deep breath and sigh in comfort, his hugs always make me feel so safe and reassured.

He chuckles and ruffles my hair. "Hey sis." I help him bring his luggage in and shut the door behind him. "Is Aaron here yet?"

I nod. "He's in his room. Mom and um, Ed are in the kitchen. They haven't seen Aaron yet, he got here before they got home."

His mouth pulls into a tight line as he nods wordlessly. I follow him down the hall. "Hey Aaron," he greets him as he stops by his room.

"You look terrible," Aaron laughs, looking up from his laptop.

Danny groans and runs his hand through his messy brown hair. "Come on, it's a long flight from Switzerland to here. Plus I was sitting next to a crying baby."

"My flight here was fine," he teases before his expression grows serious. "Anyways, are you ready to go see him?"

"Not really, but I guess I might as well get it over with." Danny rolls his eyes and sighs. "Lead the way Lina."

I nervously nod. I'm not expecting things to go well, I'm just hoping they don't go terribly. Mom and Ed are sitting on the bar stools in the kitchen. His bleached platinum blonde hair almost glows under the bright white kitchen lights, and I'm nearly blinded by the reflections against all the rings he wears. They look up and mom's expression brightens. "Aaron! Danny!" She pulls them both into tight hugs.

"Hi boys, it's nice to finally meet you," Ed says, his tone sounds uncomfortable and his smile looks forced. He awkwardly rubs the nape of his neck. "Your mother has told me a lot about you two"