29. Tattoo

Paxton

Lina lays to my side, spent and still catching her breath. Her normally smooth, slightly wavy hair is messy and clinging to her face. I can see a cute, relaxed grin on her face. She has her arm lazily draped over my chest, and her legs are tangled with mine. Her head rests in the crook of my neck, eyelashes ever so slightly fluttering against my jaw.

She's so warm and soft. There's something about the way her bare skin feels against mine, and the way she fits perfectly into my arms that just feels so right. I don't think I've ever felt this way about someone before, and I never want to let the feeling go.

What's happening to me? I'm almost disgusted at how mushy I sound.

I gently stroke her back, and lazily draw circles with my fingertips until we've both recuperated. "So, do you have any plans for Christmas?" I ask, hoping her answer is no.

"Nope, why?"

"Well, would you be interested in coming to a Christmas dinner at my parent's?" I don't know why I feel so afraid of rejection right now. I suppose the concept of bringing home a girl is just incredibly foreign to me. I've never felt close enough to a girl to even think about wanting to do that. "They host a big get together every year." Big honestly is an understatement. Mom's family wasn't big on celebrations, since she's an only child. That's why dad stepped things up to try and compensate for all the Christmases she missed out on. It's sweet, really.

Lina rolls off of me and props herself up on her arms. She bites her lip and looks at me nervously. "I don't know. We wanted to keep things private, right? And do you feel comfortable with letting people know you're dating your daughter's teacher? It doesn't sound very appropriate."

I gently stroke her cheek. "They don't have any connections to the school, there aren't any consequences if they know." I suddenly remember Elizabeth. I'm probably going to have to have a talk with her before the party. "And I'm fine with letting my friends and family know. Anyone who does judge, doesn't matter, and anyone who matters, won't judge."

She laughs. "Are you trying to quote Dr. Seuss?"

"Abby has a lot of his books," I explain. By 'a lot' I mean all of them. "So, what do you say?"

She smiles a bit and takes my hand in both of hers. "Alright, you've convinced me."

"Good, because I already told my parents you're coming," I chuckle.

She gasps and gives my chest a small slap. "You're terrible," she groans, but lays back down and snuggles into me. I run my hand through her soft chestnut hair, and smile at her relaxed, loose grin. I'm struggling to face my feelings for her. I love her, as much as I'm physically capable of loving her.

But that's not much, is it. Not to a normal person.

My thoughts are interrupted when she speaks again, "My last six Christmases have basically just been Emi and I hanging out."

I suddenly realize I feel moisture on my chest. I look, and realize tears are coming from Lina's eyes. I quickly sit up and pull her onto my lap, all other thoughts disappear. "Lina? What's wrong baby?"

She doesn't respond, and just buries her face into my shoulder and begins to cry. I hold her tight against my chest, and stroke her soft long hair. I'm so lost but that's not the point right now, I just want to make her feel better. She sobs, and trembles with every shaky breath. She starts to shiver a bit, her front is pressed hard against mine, in fact, her arms are wrapped so tightly around me it's difficult to breathe properly, but I don't care. Her back is still exposed to the room's cool air. I pull the covers over us, bundling her up, not dissimilar to the way I found her when I went over to her place.