47. New Year's Eve

Lina

I slowly wake up, still feeling exhausted. My heart feels heavy from yesterday's events, weighing myself down with sadness. I roll over lazily and realize the bed is empty. Confused, I get dressed and walk out into the hall. The door to the guest bedroom mom and George are staying in is shut, I guess it's still early.

I head down the hall to Pax's office. The door is slightly ajar and I can hear him speaking quietly. I peek in, he's at his desk on the phone. He immediately notices me, and nods towards the sofa.

I take a seat. "Alright, thanks Amy." He ends the call and comes over to sit with me. I cuddle up against his side. "Morning, I didn't expect you to be up so early," he whispers.

"Me neither," I shrug. "Who was that?"

"My friend Amy, she's the manager at the hotel your brothers are staying at." He has the slightest smile on his face.

I sit back up and raise an eyebrow. "And?"

"She said they haven't checked out yet." Paxton raises his hand to gently hold my cheek. "I think you should go talk to them, convince them to stay. I can talk to your mom and George"

I shake my head. "There's no point," I sigh.

Paxton pulls me onto his lap and rests his forehead against mine. "This isn't the Lina I fell in love with," he whispers. His piercing hazel eyes are bright and determined. "You've never been one to just get discouraged and give up."

He's right, but I can't seem to muster up enough energy to care right now. "I just can't," I moan and bury my face into his shoulder.

He gently strokes my back. "C'mon Lina, your other option is for me to go talk to your brothers, and you can talk to your mom and George," he chuckles lightly.

I wrinkle my nose. "Alright fine."

-----

"What do you mean we can't check out yet?!"

I immediately recognize Aaron's angry voice as soon as I enter the hotel's lobby. I head towards the two familiar figures standing at the front desk. The tiny girl with wide blue eyes and long brown hair behind the desk looks terribly intimidated. "Hey guys," I greet my brothers as soon as I reach them.

The girl immediately looks relieved. "Lina? What are you doing here?" Danny raises an eyebrow.

"I came to talk to you guys," I say softly.

"Oh, I guess you're lucky. We've been waiting for half an hour to check out, you would've missed us otherwise. I don't get-" Aaron pauses, and I see the gears turning in his head before he sighs. "This was Paxton, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, this is Paxton's friend," I explain. He looks at the girl sheepishly and apologizes.

"It's alright," she squeaks as the colour slowly returns to her face. "Paxton so owes me now though."

"Can we sit guys?" I nod towards the sofas in the small sitting area. I help them bring their bags over, and we take a seat on two parallel soft grey sofas. "Please don't leave," I whisper, forcing my voice to stay steady. Now is not the time to get emotional.

Danny sighs, tiredly dragging his hand down his face. "Why not? You saw what happened."

"I don't disagree that yesterday was a disaster, but we shouldn't give up so easily - mom loves us, deep down we all still know that. Remember dad's favourite proverb?" Even after all these years, dad's cheerful voice still echoes in my mind whenever I'm feeling discouraged.