26. Burgers

Paxton

"Good morning Natalia," I greet the receptionist as we walk by her desk.

"Good morning Mr. Hayle, Abigail," she smiles but does a double take. "Abigail? It's Friday morning, shouldn't you be in school?"

I frown slightly at her. "She's just spending time here today," I say curtly. It's no one's business that my little girl isn't feeling well. I guess I just feel extra protective of her today.

Elizabeth's office door is open, and she sees me walking by. "Paxton? Where is our meeting again?" she calls.

I sigh and stop at her door. "In your office. For God's sake do you even read your emails Elizabeth?" I groan.

"Geez who pissed in your coffee this morning? You're normally not this dickish until after lunch," she taunts.

This is more or less our usual work banter, but I'm definitely not in the mood today. "Leave me alone Liz," I growl.

She's about to make another jab at me before she notices Abby at my side. "Oh hey Abigail, didn't see you there sweetie."

Abby smiles at her. Bizarrely enough, she and Liz have always gotten along well with each other. "Hi Lizzie," she says softly.

I haven't seen Abby smile since last week, it warms my heart a bit to see her looking a bit happier. Elizabeth returns a soft and kind smile, one that I haven't seen in a pretty long time. I'll admit, that look warms my heart the tiniest bit as well.

I get Abigail set up in my office at her own desk that I asked Janet to bring in from storage. She brought homework as well as her tablet. I have to stop myself from letting Lina know Abigail is going to be away today, realizing how suspicious that would be to Mrs. Able. A parent texting the student teacher? That would raise all sorts of red flags, and I send Mrs. Able an email instead.

"I have a meeting with Elizabeth now, I'll be right across the hall if you need me, OK? Janet is just down the hall too." I'm a bit nervous leaving her alone, but I can't exactly invite a seven year old to this high stake meeting.

"OK Daddy," she says with a hesitant look before getting back to her homework.

-----

"Excellent, I'll email you the paperwork later today."

"Sounds great, thank you," I say as Elizabeth and I shake hands with Mr. Lu. "Let me walk you out," I offer. He nods and we head to the elevator while Elizabeth stays in her office.

After talking to him in the lobby for ages, he finally leaves. We managed to invest in several of his properties, which should increase in value significantly in a few years. So hell, I'd listen to him drone on and on about his garden any day.

I step out of the elevator, and notice from the foyer that my office door is open. I specifically remember shutting it. Even though I'm sure everything is ok, I quicken my pace. I'm relieved when I see Abigail is still inside, but Elizabeth is inside too - they're sitting together on the sofa.

"Yeah, I loved this book as a kid," Elizabeth grins. Abigail has an open book on her lap. "You should check out Alice in Wonderland as well, it's a classic."

"I have it! Daddy got it from Mr. Larsen's little sister," Abigail says cheerfully.

"My Aunt Belle huh? I had no idea," she chuckles before noticing me enter the room. "Hey Pax, Abigail and I were just talking."

"Thanks for keeping her company," I smile gratefully. As much as she and I don't get along, it makes me happy to see Abigail acting like her usual self. "Are you feeling any better Abby?"