27. Nails

Lina

Everyone is cleaning up after practice. The costumes and set are incredible, nothing like the supplies my play used when I was in elementary school. I assume Hansen prep hired professionals to make these things. They even got a giant golden chandelier for the dancing scene.

"I'll take these costumes back to the classroom," I tell Eleanor as I load the dolly with the heavy boxes.

She nods. "I'll see you in the staff lounge after."

"I'll help you Ms. Neil." I get goosebumps at the sound of her high pitched evil little voice.

"Oh, thanks Abigail," I try to say nicely, since we're still within earshot of Eleanor.

"There's another box backstage, I'll stay here with the cart," Abigail tells me.

It's quiet for the first little bit as I push the dolly down the hall. I know Pax said he'd talk to her about us getting back together, I can't imagine she took it well. "So, you went after my dad again?" she asks. Her expression definitely looks annoyed.

"Well, we agreed that we're both a lot happier this way. I'm sure you want your dad to be happy, don't you?"

"Yeah, I do. I guess I won't tell on you," she sighs.

I'm pleasantly surprised, but still extremely skeptical. "That's good to hear."

I apparently spoke too soon because she drops her voice to a menacing whisper. "Don't forget, I still can though.

I knew it was too good to be true. "Abigail," I stammer.

"And don't you dare tell anyone about this if you know what's good for you," she adds with an intimidating glare. "But don't worry, you won't deal with it for too long, someone like you doesn't have a chance at lasting with someone like my dad."

My jaw drops open. Before I can even think of how to reply, one of the wheels on the dolly comes loose. It wobbles off and the cart tips at the corner. Several of the heavy boxes topple off.

"Oh my. I wonder how that could've happened," Abigail remarks and looks up at me innocently. "Looks like you're gonna have to carry everything back by hand," she chuckles and heads back to the auditorium.

-----

"You look like a bloody mess," Mitchell chuckles when he sees me. My face still feels slightly damp and warm, and most of my hair has slipped out from my ponytail. "It's alright, you're still pretty either way," he winks.

"I just walked all the way to my classroom from the auditorium, back and forth, eight times while carrying giant heavy boxes," I snap at him and collapse into the chair to his left.

"Why on earth would you do that?"

I give him a scowl that he understands. His amused face softens with sympathy.

"Ah I see. So that means you've decided to stay with Pax?" he asks curiously.

"Yeah. It'll be nearly another seven months before we won't have to keep things a secret," I sigh. "Probably going to be rough till then."

He raises an eyebrow. "But, haven't you considered the fact that there's no countdown on Abigail? Who's to say she won't continue to have a problem with you, even after June?"

I somehow hadn't even thought about that. "Well...hopefully we'll be able to change her mind." Though it still sounds dubious.

He sighs and pats my shoulder. His hand is strong but warm and comforting. "On a brighter note, how's the play going?"