24. Come in

A/N: Things get a bit pg-13 this chapter 👀

Lina

"Lina, you can't stay in there forever," Emi bangs on my door.

The first thing I did when I got home on Thursday was say hi to Emi, then took a pint of ice cream and a spoon to my room. The following week hasn't been much better.

Currently, I'm bundled in a blanket burrito on my bed in the dark. There's a pile of tissues in my waste bin, and several empty tissue boxes on the floor. There's also a stack of plates and utensils - Emi was kind enough to bring me my meals. It feels like I'm in a terrible fairy tale. Except instead of an evil stepmother, I have an evil, blue-eyed, blonde, barely four feet tall, little girl. No happily ever after with Paxton in sight either.

I can't believe I broke up with Paxton.

"No," I groan.

I hear her sigh. "Can I come in at least?"

I turn on the lamp by my bed, washing the room in a dim golden light. I open the door, she looks very concerned. "Hi," I mumble and head back to my bed.

"Jesus Christ Lina," she says, looking around at my room. She sits down next to me on the bed and sighs. "I get that you're upset but, he doesn't sound all that great."

"What do you mean?"

"He seems kind of... selfish," she grimaces. "He was willing to put you at risk, while he had nothing at stake. Yet, he still tried coercing you, very persistently it sounds. I know you're really into him, but I'm just skeptical Lina, you've let way too many guys just walk all over you."

I think for a moment. Maybe she's right. "I don't think he meant any harm. We just both really liked each other. I promise he's a really kind and sweet person. It was just his daughter that changed things," I try to convince her. Am I trying to convince her though? Or am I trying to convince myself?

"I suppose I don't doubt he's nice, but his daughter? Changed things? She threatened your job Lina!" she says exasperatedly, tightening her grip on my arm.

"I know. She's just...defensive over her dad." I guess defensive can be a word for that. "She has him wrapped around her finger, he wouldn't believe me anyways, not that I would tell him." Who knows what she'd do to me.

She sighs and rubs my back. "You're too nice for your own good Lina. Please think about things at least, have some confidence in yourself."

"I really do miss him though Emi," I whisper.

She hugs me. "I know."

We sit in silence for a bit. "Thanks Emi, but I know you have an exam tomorrow, you should get back to studying."

"I'll come check on you later."

I nod as she leaves. I turn the lamp back off and bundle myself up into my blankets again, letting the sadness envelop me.

A while later, I hear knocking again. "Lina, open up." I hear Emi call.

"No. Leave me here to die," I groan overdramatically, muffled into a pillow.

I hear a deep chuckling. "Can I come in?" I hear the familiar husky voice ask as my heartbeat quickens.

"It-it's unlocked," I call.

The door opens, and I see his broad silhouette in the doorway from the hallway light outside. He walks in and shuts the door behind him. I turn on my lamp. He's wearing a navy blue button down and black dress pants. Does he just dress like this everyday? It's literally the weekend. Not that I'm complaining.