2. First Day

Lina

"Ok class, say good morning to Ms. Neil," Mrs. Able says with a warm smile.

"Good morning Ms. Neil," they all say.

I look at the class of second graders. Their faces are full of curiosity and interest. I met with Mrs. Able already last week, but that was when the room was empty. The noise from their talking really livens up the room.

The walls are covered with motivational posters and art projects, several computers are on the tables by the side, there are multiple bookshelves full of books and school supplies, a weekly schedule is written on the chalkboard, there's a sitting area with a large round carpet and cushions, and the tables are arranged so that the kids sit in groups of four.

"Hi everyone," I say, trying not to sound too nervous. I'm so glad I landed this student teacher position, I'm intending to teach elementary school after I graduate in the spring so I hope this goes well. "I'm so happy to be here for this year, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you."

"Alright class, please go back to silent reading," Mrs. Able announces. They all oblige for the most part, as I notice some kids still whispering to each other.

I follow Mrs. Able to her desk. There's a cherry red mug filled with coffee resting on a cork coaster, several little ornaments scattered around, a framed picture of her and her husband, and piles of folders. She gestures towards a desk perpendicular to her's. "That will be your desk Ms. Neil."

I set down my bag. "Thank you Mrs. Able."

She chuckles a little. "You can call me Eleanor dear, it makes me feel even older when adults call me Mrs. Able." She's such a venerable and sweet lady, I would've loved having a teacher like her when I was a kid.

"Alright, you can call me Lina," I grin. I sit down at the desk. It's bare, the drawers have some paper and a couple pens.

Eleanor hands me a stack of notebooks and a class list. "This is the math homework from yesterday, could you mark them and record the marks on this?"

"Alright," I nod, taking the books. It looks like it's long division, just an unequivocal and easy task, suitable while I'm still feeling the slightest bit nervous. I take out a red pen and start marking. Eleanor also gives me a sheet of stickers to use. I can't remember the last time I was given a sticker, but the ones teachers gave us when I was a kid sure didn't look like these. They're all holographic and shimmery with cute designs.

The room is quiet, besides the rustling of pages being turned. I continue making check and X marks, but my thoughts are interrupted by a quiet voice nearby.

"Mrs. Able?" A small girl with light blonde hair and big blue eyes is standing in front of Eleanor's desk.

"Yes Abigail?" she smiles kindly.

"My mommy and I made cookies on Friday," she says sweetly, "we thought you might want some." She holds up a cellophane bag tied with a pink ribbon, with several chocolate chip cookies inside.

"Oh thank you so much Abigail," Eleanor grins, "tell your mom I said thank you as well."

"I will!" she says cheerfully and heads back to her desk. She stops by mine though, and looks at me thoughtfully with her head slightly tilted to the side. "You seem really young to be a teacher Ms. Neil."

I chuckle, "I'm twenty four Abigail, but thank you."

She gives me a small nod and smile before returning to her seat. Her blonde pigtails bounce with each step.