31. Preparations

Paxton

I settle down at my desk and do a bit of work before I hear a soft knock on my door. "Come in," I call.

"Hi honey." 

"Oh hey Mom, what are you doing here?"

"Your dad is decorating the house, he ran out of some supplies and asked me to come borrow some stuff from the office. I don't know why he gets this into holidays," she rolls her eyes playfully.

"Aw Mom, he does it for you," I grin. "He told me you had a lonely childhood so he's been trying to compensate for that. For like...over three decades I guess."

She laughs. "Oh my god, really?" She sighs and smiles, "I'm so lucky I married Lincoln."

"For sure." I pat her shoulder. She and dad seem perfect together. "Let's go to the supply room, I'm sure there's extra Christmas stuff in there."

We take the elevator down to the basement. I turn on the bright white lights, illuminating the white walls and pale concrete floor. They emit a low buzzing noise that echoes throughout the large room. There are dozens of shelves that were once very organized, but everything is just a huge mess now. I should probably get someone to organize this room, I'm sure we have some interns we can tell to do that.

Mom ends up taking four cardboard boxes of various supplies. Extension cords, tape, staples, lights, and various decorations. I'm very curious as to what dad needs three packs of D batteries for. "Thanks a lot Pax," she says as I help her carry the boxes to her car.

"No problem. How's prep going anyways?"

"We're nearly done with decorations, I'm still deciding on the menu, we need more and more food every year. You guys keep multiplying."

"Sounds rough, you're always good at planning though," I chuckle.

She laughs. "It gets easier every year at least. Your dad and I took over the responsibility from your grandma to host the Christmas dinners, and the first few years were pretty nightmarish. Especially because all of you were so little," she groans.

"Well, I have very fond memories of Christmas when I was little," I grin charmingly at her, "so thank you Mom."

She smiles. "So are you excited for Lina to meet everyone?" I feel like mom and dad are very excited, probably more so than I am. I suppose I've never dated someone like Lina before.

"Yeah, she's said she's nervous though. Lina's a bit shy."

"Story of my life. I was so stressed the first time I met your dad's family," she chuckles as she reminisces about it. "I first met everyone at the Christmas dinner too, but I actually met his immediate family at brunch earlier that day. It was so I could ease myself into it, and not feel so nervous."

"Did it work?"

"Yup, I had some problems with your aunt Jasmine, but you know how she can be," she shakes her head and laughs. "Everything worked out in the end."

I think for a moment. "Could we maybe do that with Lina sometime next week? You and dad, and Astrid?"

"Of course we can honey," she nods kindly.

Katie - 23 years ago

Paxton: Aged 6, Elizabeth: Aged 4, Parents: Late thirties

"Lily! Braedyn! Stop!" Stephanie shouts as the twins run by and bump the ladder Lincoln is standing on to decorate the top half of the giant Christmas tree. She grabs both of them.