1: A kiss on the cheek

The spring ball is a favorite for the citizens of New York. People travel from all over the country to enjoy the festivities which last for a whole week. There's dancing and feasts and many other festivities. Philip is trying his best to get out of going.

He sits at his desk working on schoolwork when there's a knock at his door. Philip looks up to see his father standing there.

"Are you alright Philip?" He asks, "Your mother told me that you decided to not go to the ball. You usually love the spring ball and have a grand time dancing with all the ladies."

"I'm just not feeling my best Pa." Philip replies. In truth he just couldn't stomach another of these balls, having to put up a facade for all these potential wives. Philip used to enjoy the company of women, but now that his eighteenth birthday had passed, he couldn't talk to a woman without the talk of marriage coming up, which exhausted him.

Philip had lost his interest in women and now much preferred to stay home and write poetry.

"If this is what you want son, but just know that Angie and your mother will be quite disappointed."

"Thanks Pop." Philip musters up a smile.

As his Father leaves Philip gets up and locks his door. He walks over to his wardrobe and pulls out his journals. Flipping through them, he searches for a blank page. As he flips through the journals he inhales the scent of parchment and ink. Philip sighs, finally feeling at peace. Soon he will have the house to himself to quietly work on his poems.

His sense of peace is interrupted by a pounding on his door.

"Philip Hamilton! Open your door this instance!" a voice shouts from the other side of his locked door.

Angie!  Thought Philip.

She pounds on the door again, "Philip, I know you're in there!"

"Shit," Philip mutters, gathering up all his journals, loose papers flying all over the room.

"I hear you!" Angie cries.

"One moment, Ange!" Philip replies.

Angie huffs loudly and he can hear her sit down against the door, "Why is it taking you so long to open the door?"

"Ummm... I'm changing!" Philip replies.

He can hear Angie stand up, "So you decided to come to the ball after all!" She cries excitedly.

"Ummm..."

Before he can fully reply, Angie interrupts him, "Oh please Philip, I need you!"

"You don't need me Ange, you're going to be so busy with all the guys, you'll forget about me."

"Ma said I can't go if you don't go Philip!"

"Why?" he asks.

"Apparently I need a babysitter, which I obviously don't!" She cries passionately.

"Yes you do, darling," comes his mother's voice from the other side of the door, "let's not forget what happened at the last ball," she adds meaningfully, "Philip, I need you to keep an eye on Angelica to make sure that she doesn't act so foolishly again and to make sure that nothing bad happens to her, you know how boys can be!"

Philip audibly sighs.

"Pleeeeeease, Philip!" Angie whines.

"Fine," groans Philip, "now go away, I need to get ready."

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" she shouts excitedly.

"Go get ready Angelica," he hears his mother say, then she turns toward the door and calls out, "Thank you Philip, I know you didn't want to go, but your Angie really needs you," Eliza lowers her voice, "she can be quite naive sometimes, she needs you to protect her and make sure she doesn't end up dancing with the wrong boy."