18: Learn your lesson

T/W: self harm (mentioned) and abuse

Theodosia screams and runs into the room, tackling Angie with hug.

"Ahhh you're suffocating me!" Angie complains.

"Sorry!" Theo says, pulling back a little bit. "How... ummm... just how-how-"

"How am I alive?"

"Yeah," Theo says, looking down.

"Apparently I was in a coma for over a month. But everyone thought I was dead." Angie rolls her eyes, "My family is so dramatic."

"Jesus, Ange. I don't think they were being dramatic. You had no pulse. For six weeks." Theodosia gives her a look. "Six weeks," she says again, dragging out the words for emphasis.

Angie rolls her eyes again. "Whatever."

Theo gently grabs Angie's hands, "Hey... are you... okay?"

"Yes I'm fine!"

When Theodosia doesn't look too sure, Angie rolls her eyes. Yet again.

"Look I'm not gonna slit my wrists and paint myself with my blood again." Angie laughs at the look on Theodosia's face.

Theo slaps her arm, "It's not funny Angelica. This is serious."

Angie softens. "Look, when I found out that my brother was going to kill himself, I couldn't imagine life without him, we're real close, you know? So I went a little insane for a bit, but I'm okay now. Philip is okay. I'm okay." Angie looks Theodosia in the eyes intently. "I'm okay," she repeats.

Theo nods and lets go of Angie's hands.

"Come here," Angie says, scooching over on her bed and patting the empty space next to her.

Theo climbs up onto the bed and Angie rests her head on her shoulder. Theo strokes her curls gently. Suddenly Angie starts crying.

Theo pulls her into her arms. "Hey, It's okay," she soothes, "you're okay."

Angie lets out a sob. "I know, I just can't believe I was going to do that. End my life. And it almost happened. I almost let that happen. How could I be so stupid?"

Theo frowns at her, "you're not stupid." She softens and starts stroking Angie's hair again. "You're not stupid, you were just sad. I understand how you feel. I thought about it too. And your mother and brother both know what you're going through. You should talk to them about this. You can't hold all these feelings inside and pretend you're okay, you need to tell people how you feel, otherwise stuff like this happens."

Angie nods, then buries her face in Theodosia's shoulder. "Thank you for keeping me alive. I'm so glad I'm alive." She lets out a small sigh, then falls asleep.

Soon enough Theodosia rests her head on Angie's shoulder and falls asleep as well.

When Theodosia wakes up, Philip is sitting in a chair across the room, sleeping. Theo gently untangles herself from Angie and tucks her into bed. She quietly crosses the room over to Philip, then kisses his forehead. He stirs in his sleep, but doesn't wake. Theo starts to leave, but is stopped by Philip calling out her name.

"Wait, Theodosia, don't leave yet."

Theo turns around. "I have to go home, I snuck out and my father is going to wake up soon. If he finds out I'm gone, I'll be in such big trouble."

"Okay, just let me say goodbye to you and the baby. By the way, how are things going with the baby? Are your weekly meetings with Angelica going good?"