Chapter 16

Unknown

Come to us.

The fog in my mind's eye was finally lifting. Silver eyes beckoned me, urging me to find their owner.

I watched in awed fascination as a beautiful blue grey wolf curled herself protectively around a young woman.

I could feel the young woman's pain, her brokenness. It called to me.

I couldn't see them clearly, but I knew immediately who they were.

I stared at them, willing the fog to completely lift from my vision, but to no avail.

I wanted desperately to see them clearly, everything in me needing to memorize every feature of them.

Come to us.

The whisper fluttered again through my mind. I looked in the silver eyes of the wolf and realized the soft murmur came from her.

Her calling propelled me to take action. I needed to get to them. My entire being screaming at me, begging me to get to them quickly. I moved trying reach them, but it felt as if there was an invisible force keeping me from getting closer.

Come to us.

She beckoned again. I struggled against the force, keeping them in my sight the entire time. Needing to make sure that they are real. Calling on all the strength I possessed, I tried again to move, even if it just a little closer to them.

They needed me, I had to get to them.

I fought harder, trying, wanting, needing to reach them but I was held firmly in place.

Realizing I wouldn't be able to get any closer, I stopped my struggle. Staring at them I conveyed my sorry with my eyes.

Come to us.

She called again, her voice laden with hope.

She knew I would find them. I had to.

Soon. I promised.

I'll find you soon.

The fog thickened after my promise. I tried to fight it, but it didn't relent.

I'll find you, I promise! I screamed as the fog took me prisoner and swallowed me whole, a sudden unwavering blackness took over and I was pushed into the abyss of unconsciousness.