Chapter 43

Adrian

As I was walking, instead of going to my office I headed to the library, deciding do some research on breaking a mate bond before contacting the elders.

I didn't want to reach out to them for information that could be found in a book here. Besides, I don't need them to know of this situation unnecessarily.

When I arrived I picked a few books on wolf tradition, mate bonds, and a book on wolf history. I need to know how to break the bond and maybe find some information about the other Lycans or anything else that can give me some insight on how to find and get my Bella back.

Once I gathered all the books I wanted I went to the back of the library straight to Bella's chair. Placing the books down I sat.

The chair still smells of her. Her scent soothes me. I can't believe I choose to miss out on this.

I hope it's not too late to get her back.

Shaking my head to rid myself of that negative thought, I picked up the book on mates and the mate bond and began reading, with Kain at the forefront of my mind absorbing the information I read with me.

The goddess of the Moon, Neoma, lived in the realm of the gods before time existed. After thousands of millennia she grew tired of the perfection of the realm deciding to create her own.

When she was finished with her realm she created special creatures with the power and strength to protect it and keep it safe from the other gods and beings should they decide to attack; these first creatures were called the Moon Guardians, and they were wolves.

'Ezra is one of them, one of her guardians' Kain said beaming with pride.

'Yes she is, our mate is special beyond words' I responded, my own pride shining through.

As time went on, Neoma decided to explore and visited other realms, when she came across the Earth realm.

Earth realm had many creatures including vampires, witches, humans and other beings. Each with their spirit—their souls residing in flesh due to their separation from the spirit realm. This intrigued the goddess, since her and her Guardians are spirits.

What intrigued Neoma the most that most of the creatures' souls were fragmented, incomplete until they found the other half, their soulmates.

Their soulmates were beings designed especially for them, complimenting them in every way, created to balance them and make whole their fragmented souls.

The few vampires that existed were born with a complete but dark soul. Created by her brother Helios, they were created with the purpose of hunting and keeping the population of all the occupants of the realm from becoming too numerous. Using the cover of night, they laid siege as necessary to complete their duties.

Like vampires, most humans were born without a fragmented soul, therefore they didn't have the mate bond, allowing them to choose their mates by getting to know each other, and eventually fall in love.

Unfortunately, because they didn't have a mate bond they will never get to experience the soul deep connection and love of finding the owner of the other half of their fragmented soul.

A small portion of humans however were born with a fragmented soul, because their mates were not human. In this instance they felt incomplete until they meet their soulmates.

The fascination Neoma had with all these beings —the souls in physical forms —ultimately persuaded Neoma to create her own creatures. These creatures she wanted to be similar to humans in appearance except with a longer life span, and with the ability to shift into another form- the form of a wolf.

These wolves would be similar to the Guardians, but they would be smaller, less powerful, and without most of their abilities since she deemed them unnecessary. Similarly to all the other supernatural creatures, they were to be born with a shared yet fragmented soul as well, therefore both parts of the creature–the human half and the wolf half–will get to experience the mate bond and the joys of having a mate. She made sure that everything about their mate was alluring to them, even their scent.

Neoma immediately got to work on her creation, and for a while everything went as planned. Her creations integrated well with the other creatures of the realm, some of them even finding their soulmates with the other creatures.

However, over time Neoma realized that perfection was impossible once the spirits began to inhabit flesh and watched as corruption tainted them.

Some of her creations rebelled against her design and chose someone who they thought would be better, ignoring everything she put in place to ensure their happiness.

In some of these instances, though they were few and far between, the creatures became cruel to their mates, mistreating them in different capacities. Others were mistreated by their mates before they realized they were mates, effectively trapping them with their tormentors.

To overcome this, she create a way for them to be released, through breaking the bond for mates who completed the mating ritual and rejection.

To break the bond, the creature had to speak the words, 'I retract my claim on thee. From this moment forth our souls a shall be separated, returning to their fragmented forms. I refuse this bond that was formed, and from this day forth, I, (name) and my wolf-if applicable- (wolf's name) will no longer be bound to you (mate's name) and (mate's wolf's name)-if applicable-. There will be no restoration of the bond, and from this moment forth, you are a stranger to my soul.' It is important to note, that breaking the bond is a very painful process for both parties—

'That's all we needed Kain, don't you think?' I asked him.

'Yes I agree' he responded simply.

'We need to prepare for this. I'm going to grab some clothes and then head to Bella's room. I need her scent surrounding me as much as I possible before we find her' I said.

'Yes, her scent here isn't strong enough, I'm still restless' he told me.

'Me too Kain, me too. Soon though, we'll find her, and now that we know how to break the bond, we are one step closer to getting her back'

'Yes, we need them, I just wished we realized it sooner'

'Likewise'

With that I returned the most of the books since I found what I needed.

I'm going to get you back Bella. I swear it.