Chapter 54

Ezra

I ran as fast as possible after fleeing from Lex and the rogues.

'Do you think he'll be okay?' Issa asked after some time.

'Yes, I know he will be. He's strong, you know this. I believe he's stronger than we think. He was holding something back, I'm not sure what but—' I was cut off by a menacing roar. The sound of it promised death and destruction to all those around. A chill ran down our spine while our body flooded with tingles and heat at the sound. I knew Issa felt the same. I could feel it from her just as I'm sure she felt it from me.

Lex we thought in unison. We both knew it, no one else would've had that impact on us.

'Do you think we should go back?' Issa asked.

'No, I have no doubt he will kill them, and I know he'll keep his word and catch up to us. But for now we need to get away, I think the direction he told us to head in is where whatever base he has is' I told her.

'Very true, in that case let's see how close we can get before he catches us' she replied.

I obliged her by running faster, putting as much power as I can into each stride. This run is good I thought as I felt the wind through our fur and the soft ground beneath our feet. I felt Issa relaxing into it as well, allowing herself to feel what I'm doing.

Some time passed before I heard a sound. Suddenly a few meters away, someone landed. I stopped immediately and growled in warning to whoever it was letting them know not to come any closer, while preparing myself to fight.

That's when I smelled it, I lifted my snout to the air to make sure. I'd recognize it anywhere. Rain, flowers, and a hint of musk. But with something else, something spicy.

Then I opened my eyes and took him in. Really took him in. I felt Issa come forward to do the same. From his grey skin, to the scales that covered his body in various places, to his claws, his talons, ears, wings, horns, and the difference in his facial features.

'It's me angels' he called out as softly as his gravelly voice allowed.

Magnificent I thought as I approached him. I felt Issa agree. We knew it was him, our Lex. This is his true form. But only one question burned within our minds.

What kind of vampire are you?

'Angels, I know you have questions and I swear I will answer them once we get home. Come loves, I will carry you to the compound. You both must be exhausted' Lex said holding out his arms out for us to jump in. 

His gaze held us captive, hoping we will accept his offer; accept him.

'How could we not accept him?' Issa asked.

With that statement from her I decided to put him out of his misery; approaching him with confidence and trust. Once in front of him I jumped into his arms and yipped, letting him know we trust him and to take us home. He proceeded to cradle our body to him, I took the opportunity to smell his amazing scent and commit the spicy undertone that accompanied this form to memory.

'Thank you for trusting me my loves' Lex murmured in our ear, sending shivers down our spine.

Holding us firmly to his chest, he ascended into the air. Once we were a few thousand meters up, he took off into the direction I was headed.

'You were right, he was instructing us to go to his base' Issa told me.

'Yes, I can't wait to get there. We'll be one step closer to being home. How do you feel about it Issa? Are you excited as well?'

'Yes I am, I'm still a bit apprehensive of meeting his brothers, but I'm trusting him to not allow anything to happen' she responded.

'Issa, that pack is pathetic, an insult to Neoma. The way you were treated was disgusting due to their idiotic beliefs. However, I am confident that Lex would never let anything happen to us again. And even if something were to happen, I will not allow you to take any more torture. I'll take over and tear them to shreds if I have to' I told her determinately.

'It won't come to that, I will never ask that of you again. It's not just my body, it's also yours. I'm sorry for subjecting us to that. I just thought...maybe, if I took it, if I didn't lash out or defend myself, they would forgive me for that night but instead they almost broke me, littered our body with scars, and tainted our core' Issa responded, emotion lacing each word.

'Issa, I understand. You thought you were doing the right thing. They may have tainted our core, but because of the rejection, our acceptance, and because we ran, we are now with Lex. Maybe once we're home and you've allowed him in more, you can tell him everything they've done, and in turn I will tell him of my past life, and who I really am'

'Okay...' she responded hesitantly before retreating to the back of my mind. I know it will be hard for her, reliving everything that they've done, but hopefully she'll be free from the plague of nightmares and memories she's been suffering with.

With a mental sigh I observed the earth below before looking up at Lex. My silver eyes met his crimson ones that held so much love, adoration, and compassion.

I couldn't resist, I licked his face and nuzzled his neck letting him know we feel the same. I relaxed more into his embrace, listening to the melodic flap of his wings and steady heartbeat.

He'll be good for us, he'll help you heal Issa, I can feel it I thought before succumbing to the darkness.