Chapter 21

Ezra

I woke up from my sleep slightly confused about my whereabouts, but utterly refreshed.

After gathering my bearings, I trotted over to the entrance of the cave and stared at the sky. The afternoon sun was high and birds flew. It was a clear and beautiful day.

Apparently I slept in, but it was needed. After all the torture our body has endured for the past few days, the sleep is to be expected.

Staring at the sky, my mind began to wonder. Something was making my heart sing. A deep rooted happiness was blooming within the hardened organ.

I finally called to him!

Wait finally called? Who did I finally call?

Suddenly my dream assailed me.

We were in a meadow of some sort, I looked around at the beauty, but was unsure of why we were here.

Looking down at Issa, I could tell only her physical form was here with me. Her consciousness was still hidden from me. I could still feel her pain, her brokenness, her disgust. They tainted her, and she was hiding, trying to grasp the feelings that accompanied it.

Not wanting to leave her alone, I decided to curl myself around her, and protect her from whatever is to come. We were brought to this place for a reason, and whatever the reason, I cannot allow any more harm to come to her.

Continuing my survey of our surroundings, my attention drifted  across the meadow.

There, in a veil of semi-opaque fog, I saw a figure that I knew was him. The fog was dense, fortunately however, I was able to make out his form.

When he noticed us, I saw him motion forward toward us. But something held him back.

'Come to us' I called, unsure of why, but needing him to get to us.

I knew he heard my call when he began to fight even harder to get closer.

I wanted to go to him, but I couldn't leave Issa. She was still in the fetal position, unaware of our surroundings, and the man at the other end of the meadow.

I tried to rouse her, but her low sobs and whimpers reinforced my assumption of where her consciousness lie.

'Come to us' I beckoned again as I wrapped myself tighter around Issa.

I needed to protect her, but I knew that this man wouldn't hurt us. He would keep us safe.

'Come to us' I called time and time again, my tone filled with hope.

Each time I called, he struggled against whatever force held him in place.

When at last it was evident that he wouldn't be able to escape, he portrayed his sorry with his eyes.

'Soon' I heard him reply. 'I'll find you soon'

His voice was hypnotic. It caused my fur to stand on end, and sent tingles through my body. His baritone was like chocolate and velvet, rich, decedent, comforting, soothing.

Then, unexpectedly the fog started getting thicker. I saw him struggle against it futilely, still trying to reach us.

Before we were overtaken by blackness, I heard his tortured yell, 'I'll find you, I promise!'

I know you will I said to myself before succumbing to the darkness.

I knew we could trust him. He'll find us. I just have to keep heading toward the pull and he'll find us.

My consciousness stayed within the trenches of the dark until my mind was numbed by it, until finally giving in to it. I was lost in the abyss until I finally woke up.

'I hope you find us soon' I prayed, staring sightless up at the sky above.

Leaves rustling below snapped me out of my reflection and into the present. Something was running. I choose to ignore it, knowing that whatever it is, surely would pose no threat to us.

My consciousness may be separated from Issa's, but I am a warrior. I can defend us and keep us safe.

With that thought in mind, I decided to go for a run. Making my way through the dense forest, the sounds of the birds, squirrels, rabbits, and other life surrounded me, immersing me with their presence.

I've always loved the forest, even in my previous life. Nature has always been beautiful and soothing to me. The beauty and serenity called for my spirit to calm, and kept me grounded when nothing else could.

Running past the trees, feeling the wind through our fur, the birds chirping above, the sun shining down, this feeling is bliss.

'Issa?' I tried again to reach out to her. Unfortunately, she is still not responding, however, this time, her emotions have settled a bit. They are still there, but not as forceful as they were before.

Maybe her subconscious is finally resting. I thought to myself.

I hoped so, for her sake, she needs it. She needs to heal, and she needs rest to heal.

I pray you can feel the bond now that you're resting, Issa. He's coming for us soon.

I sighed to myself and continued my run, allowing myself to get lost in nature again. I kept going, swaying from side to side, dodging trees as I went, until the trees started thinning, signaling the edge of the forest.

Slowing down, I continued to the clearing, once there I saw a beautiful waterfall. I sat on my hind legs and watched the ferocious beauty of it. I was enthralled when I smelled the scent of a witch, again.

I know I'm not near a coven, so it's a lone witch. It must be the same witch from last night.

Is she following me?

How did she get here?

Who is she?

There was no use sitting here asking myself these questions. So I decided to get answers.

Time to find out who you are. I thought before following her scent.