Chapter 4

Issabella

After leaving the Alpha's office, I decided I needed a distraction. Since everyone was up, I couldn't shift, so I decided to practice.

I am part witch therefore, I have the ability to cast spells, but my powers are that of a healer, so I can only cast healing spells. I don't mind though, I have a feeling that's the reason I've always wanted to be a pack healer.

'What do you think about rehearsing some spells, Ezra?' I asked.

'Sounds good to me. Maybe later we can go for a run, it'll be good for both of us' she responded.

'Sure thing' I agreed. She's right, a run would good for us. We are both anxious about the Alpha and Luna leaving because in their absence, the pack won't have restraint.

As I made my way outside, I was greeted with his scent. I scanned the surrounding area until I saw him. My heart broke at the sight.

He was with his girlfriend, Elliana. She was glowing, basking in his warmth. Her hazel eyes twinkled as she looked up at him. She wore her light brown hair loose, over one shoulder giving Adrian easier access to her neck from his place behind her. He was holding on to her waist, her back flush against his front. He whispered something to her, then nuzzled her neck making her giggle.

His eyes shone with love as he looked at her. His adoration for her was evident by the smile on his face.

She then turned around and grabbed his neck, pulled his lips down to hers and kissed him. He in turn grabbed the back of her head, deepening the kiss.

When I couldn't take the sight any longer I looked away.

They never hid their affection for each other, therefore, Ezra and I are constantly subjected to seeing our mate giving the love, care, devotion, and tenderness that is supposed to be ours, to someone else.

While it hurt both of us, it hurt me more than it did Ezra. Whenever I asked her why, she always told me she wasn't sure what, but something was keeping her from feeling most of the physical pain and being completely heartbroken.

I'm glad she is strong enough to withstand seeing him and Elliana, because if she wasn't the heartbreak and pain would have killed her.

There are only two ways to kill a person's wolf; their mate mating with someone else and rejection.

Wolves cannot tolerate seeing their mates with someone else, because it causes them physical pain to do so.

When a wolf's mate mates with another, the pain is both physical and psychological. Physically, it feels like they are being stabbed and burned from the inside, it damages their internal organs, and causes internal bleeding.

Psychologically, they have to bear the burden of knowing that they are not good enough for their mate, and their mate would rather be with someone else.

The pain from continuous exposure to either causes the wolf to become withdrawn, depressed and eventually they start to weaken, until they die.

During this process, the human side weakens as well. If they are strong enough, they can survive without their wolf, and while they'll retain the heightened senses, they will lose their ability to shift, and they will feel the emptiness of being without their wolf.

Since most shifters are unable to cope without being with their wolf, they kill themselves. However, the ones that don't are never the same. They become hollow, an empty shell of a person. The vacancy left by their wolf rendering their lives insignificant, unless they have a mate and or children to live for, even then, the void is ever present.

Rejection on the other hand, almost always kills the rejected, both the wolf and the human. The pain both suffer from the bond breaking is too much to bear, so they die an agonizing death.

If the rejected is able to accept the rejection however, they may be able to survive, unfortunately their wolf will most certainly die from the pain. Thereby, leaving them wolf-less, and since they have no mate they either go insane or retreat so far in their mind, they enter a vegetative state.

'That will never happen to you nor will you lose me Issa, I promise' Ezra said to me, knowing where my thoughts were headed.

'He will love us, Issa' Ezra continued when I didn't respond.

'I hope you're right' I answered.

I loved Adrian before I found out we were mates. Something about him always pulled me to him. Forcing my heart to flutter whenever I saw him.

But he had always been with Elliana. Even though he is two years older than Elliana and I, they were always close growing up. He always watched over her and protected her.

Something happened between them a few weeks following that night. Since then he is almost never without her. His protectiveness and possessiveness of her went into overdrive. Because of this, many people assumed they would be mates, but I know the truth.

I was so preoccupied with my thoughts that I didn't realize how close I was to them until someone shoved me, causing me to stumble into Elliana.

'Sorry' I mumbled, trying to get away from them as quickly as possible.

I heard a loud clap ring out as I felt her hand connect to my face, cupping her fingers as she did so to ensure she drew blood.

'No you pathetic bitch, you did that on purpose' she yelled.

I looked over at Adrian to see him observing everything with a smirk of satisfaction on his face.

My heart broke a little more.

'It was an accident Elliana, I'm sorry it won't happen again' I said meekly.

'It better not' she scoffed at me before turning to Adrian.

'Come on honey, lets go' she said to him sweetly, grabbing his hand and pulling him toward the house.

I watched as he looked down at her lovingly.

'Anything for you' he said before kissing her forehead.

With that they went inside leaving me surrounded by laughter.