3 | Reasonable conversation

"Dude quit bugging me, I said no

"Dude quit bugging me, I said no." I groaned, stepping off the treadmill as I made to pick up a dumbbell.

"Jeez man, that sounds like a no from hell." Lade chuckled, his deep voice resonating through the tiny speakers of my airpod, riling me up some more.
"It's just tiktok, no one's asking you to do drugs."

Holding my breath, I watched my right muscles contrast as I lifted a mini dumbbell before expelling a breath.

"No."

I heard him kiss his teeth, while the soft rap music playing at the background told me he was probably at Khalid's house, kicking it back and trying to unwound like they always did every day and I didn't care.

"Yo man!" Khalid shouted. "Is your mum around?"

"She's got a kid your age man. Keep it together!" Lade groaned. "But damn!" The asshole continued. "Aunty Vee fine as hell!"

I rolled my eyes. I was going to have a headache today.

When I'd told mum I had no friends, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything. I just didn't see myself being friends with these niggas.

One would think I was being unreasonable by refusing to be friends with guys who by societal standards, were perfect friendship materials.

I mean, Lade Bademosi's Father, Femi Bademosi, was one great business tycoon and model philanthropist, who had several NGOs that had solutions to almost every problem that was out there.

Khalid Seabuoy came from oil money. And his mother was thee Onome Seabuoy. Activist, feminist and human rights lawyer, who made good use of the money by giving back to the society through handling every case from the underprivileged, probono and going through hell and back to make sure justice got served in their favor.

Sometime in highschool, there was a rumour that she'd been threatened by a native doctor who'd colluded with her widowed client's brother in-law, that they'd make her go insane by the end of the court seating.

But that's beside the point I'm making.

These guys weren't like the antithesis of their parents and neither did they come off as the society's nightmare. They just weren't my cup of tea.

With Lade's cheating spree, tiktok obsession and Khalid's extravagant party boy lifestyle, I just couldn't deal with too much teen angst and drama.

"Ay, you know what Somzy," Khalid's voice came on. "Fuck tiktok, Lade's girlfriend be cooking up this hot ass, house party. And you know what that means? Hot shorties and free booze."

There was rustling at the other end, I rolled my eyes, knowing they were struggling over the cellphone. "Fuck off, that not his scene." Lade had the phone. "Look man, you don't have to do anything. Just exist and look good as usual."