18 | Just a bite

This isn't going well

I was wary as I alighted the car, looking around me as my heart thudded against my ribcage. I've never been to such scene before. The closest I've been to a market place was the mall that basically had everything. From groceries to junk.

Here however, was a whole different ballgame. Too much violence and recklessness hung in the air. I watched two women with distinct Asian features giggle amongst themselves, as they watched a butcher shred beef before them. His muscles contrasting.

At another end, a group of young adults clustered around some girl as she got her hands busy. I had no idea what they were staring at. Then there was the scariest part. Some man had another's shirt in a death grip. Looking scary and ready to trade blows, some people stared and some ignored them.

Here lived breathing chaos.

"Can you stop staring Soma," a smirk adorned Didi's lips as she observed me. "They're humans not exhibits."

I sent her another glare. "They might as well be. Why in the hell are we here-"

She opened her mouth to answer, however I didn't let her. "And don't tell me to hang because we have helluva lot of places to hang!"

Rolling her eyes, she locked the car, same time I noticed that she had a small polaroid camera slung around her neck. "Calm down. I'm not about to sell you, if that's what you think. Although that would be a good plan." I sent her hurricanes this time. "I'm going to take pictures and you can draw or sketch, here's teeming with inspirations Soma."

"Bullshit, you can find inspiration anywhere."

She began walking, and having no choice, I followed her. "Well tough luck Soma, I get inspiration from this place."

She wasn't jesting as she began taking shots after shots, greeting the traders as we passed. I wasn't even surprised at all, that she was quite chummy with them.

"This road leads to the dock," She pointed at the narrow space we were standing on, flanked side by side by stalls. Same time I managed to avoid a man carrying baskets of... Live fishes zoom past us. I scrunched my nose at the stench. "There, you can get fresh out of the ocean fishes. Prawns, squids...At a cheaper price too."

I watched her bend down as she took a shot of the narrow road, which was teeming with people going and coming as well.

"I used to go to the dock sometimes," she continued, satisfied with the shot she took. "The old women who clean and dry fishes love it when I take their pictures." She was wearing a pleasing smile, not one of those mischievous ones she usually had on. "The Fishermen too, jolly good fellows they are."

I rolled my eyes. Of course, she'd call them jolly.

"They feel so proud of what they do whenever they see a picture of themselves, in the very act of what sustains their livelihood." She took another shot. "Many people look down on fishermen and these women that clean and dry fishes." This time, an annoyed frown marred her face. "Like they would have access to fishes and all the fancy seafoods they eat without them. Dumbasses."