16 | Daytime Witch

I was expected to wake up at the crack of dawn

Well, if crack of dawn was a bright, almost sunny morning, when birds stopped chirping and tires screeching loudly against asphalt coated roads, then so be it.

Letting out a yawn and a stretch simultaneously, I avoided eye contact with the alarm clock I had sent flying to the ground at the real crack of dawn. My internal clock told me it was way over nine, if not ten... With the way the streets were buzzing with life.

You'd think that sleeping in would leave me with enough strength and energy to rival Hercules, but no, I felt energy drained. Like my energy core has been drained and although it felt satisfying to feel oh so useless and lazy at the beginning of a day, I couldn't help but feel suspicious that no one, not even my overachieving Father has come to wake me up.

Driven by suspicion, I padded barefooted and slowly to me door where I leaned against, to get the least bit information. However, I heard nothing of import. Only, the usual newspaper review Dad listened to on mornings he was around, since he doesn't get the chance to read newspapers by himself and the sweet smell of home brewed coffee and breakfast Mum always made.

I let out a relieved breath. Nothing out of the ordinary, I was safe, hopefully.

Slowly, I unlocked my door to avoid it making a sound, but still left it close. On my way back to my bed, my eyes caught hold of the anatomy textbook on my desk, together with a jotter and pen I'd been using at night. I contemplated leaving it there or taking it to my bed to give the impression that I was indeed reading, while the whole world woke up.

I shook my head. Dad wouldn't buy that.

That was why I carried the books to my bed seconds later. Setting it nicely, in a way the spelt that I had been reading alright. With a satisfied smile on my face and my strength slowly returning, I reached for my cellphone,  just to find out that I had switched it off last night. Powering it, I padded to the bathroom to get my morning business done, phone still in hand.

Few minutes later, I was done and found myself slipping into casual clothes, all the while feeling refreshed and full of energy.

Now curling on my bed, I twirled my phone in my hand, thinking of what to do with it. Of course, the first on my call list was my best friend, who I've been spending little to no time with this summer.

She picked at the first ring as usual.

"Wassup."

"Morning to you too babe. Sleep well?"

I grinned, I could picture her rolling her eyes. "Yep, like a babe. Did you?"

She let out a yawn at the other line. "Lucky you. I've been battling with my chemistry textbook and this past question Zara sent me..."

I let out a sigh. Here we go again. Shouldn't there be a punishment somewhere for people who get their eyes stuck in books all day long.

"You were reading through the night?" Disbelief clouded my voice.