10 | Vintage galleries

"Smile Soma

"Smile Soma." Mum whispered, giving me a nudge as we entered into the almost crowded art gallery.

I turned to her, stretching my lips. "You good?"

She rolled her eyes, linking her arm with mine. "I didn't say grimace Soma."

I huffed out a breath, feeling trapped as she led me further into the room.

Just like every other exhibition Mum hosted, she found a way to have me tag along.

The gallery was abuzz with life as I took in everything and everyone.

The cream and brown theme was alluring to the eyes, while the fancy lights and huge chandeliers hanging on the high roofs like myriads of melting ice, added dollops of charm to the already captivating room, making everyone glow under the light's spray.

The golden lights by each sides of the large gallery gave the room a royal glow as usual, injecting the illusion of power into the veins of the guests in the room.

The guests of the evening were a little different from the normal class of people Mum hosted at the gallery.

It was a normal sight to see frail-looking, old men and women, carrying champagne flutes and whiskey glasses in their varying, boring but expensive tuxes, while waiting to flaunt their wealths at each other's face.

However, the guest list had a little tweaking done I surmised, as I watched young people, ranging from teenagers and young adults in their early twenties, spread out in the large room, adding light and flare to the usual old and vintage vibe galleries give.

Their radical hairdos, their scandalous dressings and their excited expressions had the old people in the room to wear disapproving scowls.

I smiled, this evening might be worth it after all.

"There!" Mum beamed with content. "You finally gave me a real smile. Keep it up grumpy, at least for the night."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes as she steered me to a particular group of formally suited personnels.

"Gentlemen... Lady, how's the evening so far?" Mum asked, bringing us face to face with the two men and only woman in the group.

"Venita!" The woman grinned once she saw my mum. "I love what you've done with the place. It suits my style in every sense-" She paused, as if she just saw me. "And who's this handsome young man?"

I fought the urge to groan or even, make a beeline for the door. I hated introductions... Meeting new people and every other thing associated with socializing.