14 | Someone else's battle

They say change rolled in on wheels of inevitability

I didn't really get what the statement meant till two months after Karen and Lade began dating.

Lade's attitude took a circumferential turn.

First, that summer he had a big fallout with his then best friend Kam. Nobody really knew what happened and they refused to speak of it, even as Lade stopped speaking to Kam and avoided our group totally.

Instead he stuck to the boxing jocks in school and Khalid, who was from a different school.

It took everyone by surprise. The Ogunlade Michael Bademosi of Beechworth academy, who everyone loved.

When did things turn sour?

We were happy when Lade and Karen began dating prior to the incident. Although it was unexpected, since we didn't notice any chemistry there, we were still supportive. Moreso, ecstatic since it was Lade.

Then, Lade had been the poster boy for a good boyfriend and a model student. He had good grades, was well mannered and had the body that brought out the feminine instinct to be protected, in every girl at school, due to him built like a fucking Adonis, all thanks to boxing.

We all thought his feud with Kam was only momentary, but then, things never went back to the way it used to be from then onwards.

SS2 came along, birthing a lot of unusual things, which included; Lade's drastic change. He went from zero to hundred in seconds. Soon, rumors began that he was cheating on Karen. He never addressed it, never even acknowledged such rumors till it was no longer a rumour.

He began a cheating spree, no holds barred. You could see Lade openly making out with different girls every now and then.

The real problem however was that, he had no regard for his girlfriend's feelings.

It continued that way and neither Karen nor Lade made any attempt to breakup. Countless efforts were put into talking Karen into taking the path of sanity, we had fallouts and feuds that lasted for months, still nothing.

None of them was willing to break up.

Everything was emotionally excruciating to watch, so bad that we eventually gave up.

We held unto the fact that Karen always acted unaffected and strong whenever the topic was brought up as consolation and minded our business.

But today? Today threw our whole theory off the window, seeing that Giwa's words threw all Karen's inhibition out the window.

I'd never seen Karen cry before and not to mention, openly and on the floor of a public restroom.

Karen Efosa Elohor was all feminine grace and elegance. She would rather chuck her face into fire,  than let anyone see her cry.