23 | Kitchen treason

I swear I didn't slip and fall

I swear I didn't slip and fall. I didn't hurt my head. What the fuck was wrong with me?

I asked myself for the umpteenth time as I ushered a shivering Didi and Naenae into my house. Yeah, you read right. Into my house.

The shivering duo sneezed at interval as they left a wet trail at their wake.

"I'm sorry," Didi murmured for the gazillionth time, staring at the puddle she was forming in the middle of the living room.

I rolled my eyes, ignoring her, while I gestured for her to come with me upstairs.

Here's the thing, Didi had forgotten her bag which contained her house keys at the Alley. Then enter me, bloody Samaritan who offered help when it was needed. I mean yeah, there was nothing wrong with offering help to people you were acquainted with right? Except it was creepy to offer help to someone who hasn't left your thought for the past few days. Yeah, it was totally perfect to dream about a girl, spend hours trying to draw said girl's portrait and more hours trying to portray the texture of said girl's hair on a canvas then, invite the girl to your home. See, not creepy at all. It didn't look like I took a page off Ted Bundy's playbook. Not at all.

Damnit! This was all Khalid's fault and the alcohol in my system that night. I should have just been good old me; opt out of the game and observed from the sideline. Rather, I'd taken up Khalid's challenge and kissed the girl. Of all girls it was her, fucking Didi. The one girl who's special talents included, but was not limited to; getting on my damn nerves. Great!

How could one go from feeling irritated about someone and having said someone evade your thoughts? Honestly, I really didn't understand the nature of human existence. Really.

Sighing and needing to take a break from the jumbled wires that was my thought, I stopped at a guest room. One of the two spare rooms that was hardly ever used in the house. Only in rare occasions when Mrs Mary's children came around or Khalid and Lade decided to be unrelenting pains in the ass.

Opening the door, I ushered them in, grateful the room was in order.

"The heater is working," I began lamely, pointing at the adjoining bathroom. "There are towels and bodywash inside."

"Uh, thank you." Didi nodded, same time Naenae let out another alarming sneeze.

"Oops," the annoying girl groaned, biting her lips. "I better go get him into that hot water."

I nodded awkwardly again, trying hard but failing to avert my gaze from her lips, before hurrying out of the room.

With the door now closed, I paused outside trying to get my shit together. It was just a stupid dare. A nonsense game of drunk Jenga. Kissing her was meant to be harmless and not making me aware of things I wasn't even aware of initially.

Shaking my head, and hopefully, shaking common sense into it, I walked to my room. Naenae would have to cover up, at least till his own clothes dried up.