7 | Wilted dreams

Beechworth was where we all lived

An island that was easily an abode for the cremé de la cremé in the country.

At the heart of the country's income generating state, it had the best tourist center in the continent, an even greater advantage when it came to safety.

The island was an impregnable fortress.

Magnificent mansions that gave castles a run for their money were erected on this very island, eco friendly environment, one of the best education facility in the country... Just you name it, and Beechworth whips it out in a flash, like a magician does out of his hat.

All these came second to what made Beechworth an abode worth everything.

It was the humming sounds that came from sea waves, the twitting birds that sang sweet melodies from dusk till dawn and the therapeutic sea breeze that cleansed one's soul, with just an inhale.

However, with the state I was in, not even first hand experience with this beautiful Island could rid me of the disturbing thoughts.

After the encounter with the gallery director, sleep had eluded me last night.

I'd stayed awake, trying to make a decision I wasn't sure would be of any benefit to me and relieving so many memories that still gnawed at my heart.

Growing up, I'd always swam in a sea of uncertainty.

I was that kid who still was trying to figure out what she wanted in life.

And with him around, things had been a little better.

At the age of five, I'd proudly declared I wanted to be a footballer, because he always looked so happy irrespective of the sweaty and messy state he was in, after each game.

At ten, I'd come home one time, screaming that I'd be a musician, because I'd heard him sing on our school stage... Seen him get all the attention and felt my heart swell with pride as everyone showered him with praises.

At thirteen, I wanted to be a doctor because that's what he wanted to be. I would listen to him talk about the beauty of biology, the wonders of chemistry and the magic of physics. And I would go on and on, telling him to say them again... Even though I understood nothing.

And then at Fourteen he was gone. Leaving me with just a Polaroid camera and wilted dreams.

Amongst all my friends, I was the only one without a dream. The only one who hasn't still figured her shit out.