6 | Olive branch

"And where were you last night Chidinma Wren Ajala!"

My mum asked from behind, arms akimbo as she stared at me through my bathroom mirror.

"Jesus!" I screamed, as I stared at her glaring reflection. She'd given me a start so early in the morning.

"Don't call the name of the Lord in vain Chidinma!" She chastised.

I breathed out, wiping water off my face, before dropping my toothbrush.

"Good morning sweet mum." I cheesed, turning to face her with a well practiced smile.

Mum rolled her eyes. She wasn't going to fall for any of my saccharine smiles.

"My friend, answer my question. Where were you last night?"

"At Azra's." I lied smoothly. "I told you I was going over."

A very confused look washed over her face. "You told me? Don't take me for a fool just because you think I'm getting old Chidinma."

"I did," I continued, my heart beating like a staccato applaud. "Yesterday, after I dropped off Nae Nae."

Mum looked confused for a second, before narrowing her eyes at me, suspiciously. "Okay? And why didn't you pick your call when I practically blew your phone off with several calls eehn?"

She unlocked her slick Samsung cellphone, fingers fiddling with her call logs.

I came close. "Let me help."

She glared at me, slapping my hand away. "So you can remove the evidence abi?"

Laughing, I tried not to roll my eyes. Didn't even think of that.

Finally finding the so-called evidence, mum shoved her phone to my face.

"I called you five times in a roll Chidinma. Why didn't you pick your call."

Blew off my phone? I smiled as I stared at my mom's call log, showing three green arrows going up and a small bracketed five. Mum was so dramatic.

"My phone was switched off." I answered, leaving the large bathroom when I felt too cornered.

And that wasn't a lie. This time, we had what Kam called an 'emergency party'.

A gathering that just consisted of the six of us in our close-knit group, when the human being decided to invite us over impromptu, after his mum had called to inform him that she wasn't going to be home.

Who was I to say no to much needed fun. I'd made a beeline for his beach-side mansion after grabbing Az who'd reluctantly come with me after I'd convinced her mum to let me abduct her.

There, we'd kicked back at Kam's indoor pool, while sipping some sacrilegious concoctions and raiding his fridge, that I'd forgotten to charge my cellphone.