5 | Endgame

Sunset was the best part of any day

And of course, it wasn't so because of its aesthetic and aeriform beauty alone, it was because of what it stood for.

A beautiful reminder that the day was about to come to an end and would soon birth a new one.

That period brought about a sense of relief to me as I was lazily lounged on my favourite sofa, surfing through Netflix.

Mrs Mary had left a little while ago, leaving my stomach full and the house empty.

Just how I liked it.

I narrowed my eyes at the movies before me. Really thorn as to what to choose.

Last time I checked, a particular Korean drama, Squid Game was making waves in over nine countries.

Kdramas weren't really my thing till mum became a die-hard fan. Which had dire consequences on my end, as she couldn't watch movies alone.

Hence, forming a ritual which she called Family night.

We'd stay up all night, watching some of her latest discoveries of the entertainment world every friday. And need I remind you that she was always the one in charge of picking out movies, which leaves me at the receiving end of whatever bad choice she makes.

Shivering at the memory of the last movie we'd seen. A cheesy and nausea inviting romance flick that had me half questioning humanity and the script writer's sanity, I expelled out a relieved breath, grateful mum wasn't anywhere near home. I had the TV to myself-

"Hi love."

My head whipped around on it's own accord at her voice.

How the hell is she home early?

"Hi mum." I almost grumbled. "You're back... early?"

How come?

"Yeah, good relief." She let out in a fatigued voice. Coming over to drop her tired body and laptop beside me.

"Decided to let everyone off early today since the gallery was mostly empty. Tomorrow is going to be one busy day, we've got like three bookings, each paying per time." She gave me a scrutinizing gaze. "Why? Something tells me you're not that happy to see me."

Not really.

I rolled my eyes as I leaned back on the comfortable sofa, watching her remove her heels and throwing them wherever pleased her.

Annoyed, I glared at her. "Seriously mum, this is a sitting room and not your room."

"You missed the part where this is my sitting room. Your mother is totally beat down and tired, cut her some slacks Soma." She reached for the remote control.