13 | Periodic Table

The dawn of a new day was the rise of a new Didi

Saying that would make me a liar since I felt like shit.

Few days after the exhibition, Dad had made his grand return from his chain of medical seminars and conferences. I'd say that Dad being home constantly wasn't a good thing for me.

He always had things for me to do. Random pop quizzes which originally were for the student doctors at the University hospital he worked at, but since I, his daughter was a pre-med aspirant, he found it pleasing to throw questions at intervals whenever he saw me.

And there was the late night party ban and TDB reading. Seriously, I wasn't even a university student yet.

I was just any random teenager who has been blessed with a super long vacation and beautiful summer that should be enjoyed.

I screamed into my pillow as a knock sounded on my room door. I knew Dad was behind the door, dressed and ready for work. But he wouldn't leave without asking annoying science questions.

I stood up grudgingly and with the grace of a zombie, matched to the door to open it.

Instead of Dad, Mum stood at my door a brow shot up as she took me in.

"Do you ever get tired of sleeping Chidinma! And your hair is an unpleasant sight." She chastized. "Where's your bonnet and why didn't you braid them up?"

Too many words so early in the morning.

I took a defeated stance as I walked back to my bed. "Morning to you Mum."

"Are you just waking up?" Her voice held disapproval.

"Yes," I drawled back, landing on my bed with a thud. I felt like a train had rammed into me.

Mornings were supposed to be refreshing and blissful and not this horrible.

I heard Mum enter the room since my face was buried into the pillow. "At this time of the day?"

Groaning, I sank my face further into the pillow. "Mummy noww. It's still too early!"

"My friend get up. It's already past seven in the morning. Your mates have started doing something reasonable with their lives since five!"

Seven? Half the people I knew slept till ten! It was the holidays and not a school day!

"Mummy please..." I pleaded. "Seven is still too early. I slept by one."