24 | Secrets to spill

I've never been asked what I'm most afraid of

People had just about, different types of phobias. Height, spiders, confined spaces... however, I feared loss. A phobia that came arm in arm with inevitability. You just couldn't tell when or how. At least with fear of heights, you'd know to avoid high places. With enclosed spaces, you'd be wary of your environment and spots to be in. But with loss? You just couldn't be certain. You're left to guess. Left to wait and especially hope that it doesn't come to you. Sadly, eventually it'll come.

I sighed as I cradled Naenae in my arms. My heart still racing as fast as a damn sports car. For a moment, I'd let my mind run free and wild. It had done one hell of a terrific job conjuring images...stories...theories that almost had me losing my mind.

I had never thought of his infamous hide and seek. I had never for once stopped to think or analyse. Sighing for the umpteenth time, I hugged him closer, placing soft kisses on his head that soon had him looking for an escape. But I wasn't ready. At least, till my heartbeat became stable.

I let him go, but not out of my sight when Soma came downstairs. I know he said he was okay, but who could be especially in his shoes?

That portrait had been hidden there for a reason.

"Hey," I called, knowing I wasn't in the right place to offer my pity. But I had to say something.

He might act as though, he was okay, but in reality, he wasn't. I myself knew that much.

"I'm sorry about Naenae and the picture..."

He sighed. "Really Didi. It's okay."

He wasn't annoyed. Didn't sound sarcastic. Still, I was not convinced.

I nodded, deciding to drop the subject. "Okay."

His eyes narrowed for a brief second, before he came and sat down. Naenae went to his side instantly.

"Look, that picture has been around ever since I can remember," he said casually. "And for real, I really do not know why Mum keeps it. But that's her choice. I respect that. But to me,"

He was serious as he spoke. "It really doesn't matter what sentimental value is attached to it. I never knew him and apparently, he never wanted both I and my Mum, why bother attaching emotions to someone or thing that isn't worth it?"

I held my breath for what felt like eons. Had he just said that so casually? If I had seen that picture clearly. I knew I was staring at a younger version of Aunty Vee and an older, spitting image of Soma.

Still, the words that gripped me was the revelation that he never wanted Aunty Vee, at least not till the end and Soma. His own son. Who would do that to their own child?

"I'm sorry." The only words that seemed to be leaving my lips.

Soma rolled his eyes, looking and acting so unaffected. And it didn't look like an act from my point of view. Maybe, he really was over it all.