Lotus Pond

Welcome back my beautiful readers!  I've missed you all so much!  I wasn't going to update for a few more days but this chapter just refused to leave my mind.  I would go to sleep thinking about it, rewrite parts in my head as I lay in bed awake, and add scenes when I woke up too early.  So......I'm putting this out there early.  Please forgive any mistakes I may have made and I will promise to do better in the next chapter!  I hope your week is going smoothly and I hope to post again over the weekend!  Hugs to everyone!

Lan Zhan had searched without rest all day for Wei Ying but he found no signs of his missing husband. His voice was raw from calling out his lover's name every few minutes and his head ached from repeated failures of finding Wei. His heart grew as heavy as his steps the farther away from Cloud Recesses he wandered. Now, night was approaching and Wangji was exhausted, frustrated, and heartbroken.

'Where would he go? Why can I not find him? Does he not want to be found? Why? Did I hurt him that badly with my words?  I'm just concerned about him.  Will he ever want to be found? Has our married life together been that much of a disappointment to him?  No.  That can't be true.  But, what if something has happened to him and he's all alone, hurt, and crying out for me? What.......what if.......?'

"No." Lan Zhan spoke out loud. His voice was filled with determination. He could not go down that path of thinking. He would not surrender to his fears. Besides, he had seen his beloved's skill during the fight against the Qiongqi. Wei Ying could take care of himself. Based on what Wangji had observed during the battle, there were not many people, or things for that matter, that could hurt his husband right now. He had to stay positive and not give up. He had never given up before and he would not start today. Not on his Wei Ying.

Just as Lan Zhan took a deep breath and was about to step onto Bichen to search in a different area, the early night sky illuminated with the Lan Clan emblem glowing brightly in the far distance.

"Wei Ying." he said softly, hope overriding any fear that remained in his heart. Taking to the air, Lan Zhan flew as fast as he could back home. Back to his beloved husband.

                            *********************************

Wei Ying and Fan Yingpei arrived back in Gusu by late afternoon. The town was still bustling with activity as vendors tried to sell the last of their wares before nightfall. As the two men walked the busy streets, many of the locals nodded or bowed at Wei Ying before moving on with their shopping and Fan could not help but smile. He could see the pride in Wei Ying's steps and how he held his head higher than their previous visit here. There was almost a regal quality to Wuxian's presence now and Fan bathed in it, moving steadily by Wei Ying's side.

"Fan, I need to make a stop at my favorite spice shop before going home, if that's alright with you."

"Of course, Wuxian! Whatever you need. Never ask me to do something. You are the Yiling Laozu. People should ask you for permission, not the other way around." Fan gave a half bow to Wuxian as Wei Ying smiled at him.

"Are you cooking something special tonight?" Fan remembered the bland dishes that he was served during his previous stay at Cloud Recesses and his mouth started to water at the thought of Wei Ying cooking something with flavor.

Wei Ying smiled. "Yes. I want to surprise Lan Zhan tonight. I want to cook him something as an apology for running away the other day."

Fan Yingpei gasped slightly and said angrily, "You shouldn't be the one apologizing, Wei Wuxian! They should be the ones apologizing to you for making you suppress your amazing gift and feel guilty about using it."